Preorder iPhone 4 for a new line on an existing family plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kyliec89, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Kyliec89 macrumors member

So, I am currently on a Sprint family plan, but I am going to switch myself off of Sprint onto my Brothers At&t family plan for the new iPhone. Can I still preorder? Because just as an experiment, I tried to click on a 3gs and then selected that I would be adding a line to the family plan, and it tells me I have to go in store to do it. So, I am wondering if when June 15th hits, I am not going to be able to preorder online because it will give me a similar message? I tried to call at&t for help but they couldn't understand what I was asking... And if I can preorder, what kind of information will I need from him to complete it?

At&t did say I could add a line through the online account, but if I do that on June 15ht will I just be able to select the iphone as my preorder?

My brother is a pain to get ahold of, and I don't wanna have to wait till the last minute and not be able to get ahold of him to deal with it. Any knowledge?

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You should be able to add a line online and select the iPhone 4.

3. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Yeah, you should. But like he said you can't with the current phones. The site halts the process when you click add a line to an existing plan. Maybe that will change june 15 but I don't see why it would.

I have the same question, almost. We have a single iPhone, want to pre-order the new iPhone and thus create a family plan. Can't do it at store.apple.com when trying to buy a 3GS.

Option 1. We could just order the new phone like we don't have an account and combine them to a family plan later. Although some say a new single account has to wait 60 days to convert to family...

Option 2. Hope someone at the apple store actually has a solution and we can pre-order and create the family plan at the store.

I'm also going to want to switch my 3GS number to the new phone and use the new number on the 3GS - but I don't anticipate that being a problem.

4. bidwalj macrumors 65816

I'm doing the same thing as well plus upgrading a line. My plan is to do the update pre order through apple and have it shipped and then do the add a line pre order at an AT&T store.

5. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Do you mean you're ordering the iPhone 4 like you don't have an AT&T account, basically starting a new account that will later be rolled into one family plan?

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Called AT&T and Apple, they said you can't add a line or open a new contract (family line/individual) on the preorder page. It has to be done in store.

7. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Same here - I'll have a white (wife) and black iPhone coming and I will upgrade hers and then head into the store with mine to switch everything over to a family plan.

8. bidwalj macrumors 65816

no, i will do the upgrade for my line which is eligible. I'll have apple ship that to my house. The new line that I'm adding, I'll either preorder that at the Att store or just walk-in / wait in line for. i believe At&t will only let you get one phone per person on launch day (either the upgrade or new line) so I will have to go this route.

9. MurphyM macrumors 6502

In store - can that be an Apple Store?

10. graygmc macrumors newbie

Same question here.

I am wanting to add a line for my son and get the iphone 4.

So do I have to wait in line on launch day to get it or can I go into an att or apple store on the 15th and add a line while pre-ordering iphone 4 all at the same time?

11. Daddy Mac macrumors member

I'm in the same situation as the OP. I'm going to add myself as an additional line onto my family's family plan. I just spoke to an AT&T rep and he said that when I pre-order on June 15th, there will be an option to choose iPhone 4 as my phone. Can't really tell you how knowledgeable the guy was over the phone but he seemed pretty sure. I asked 3x whether or not I needed to go into an AT&T or Apple store and he reassured me all 3x that I didn't.

12. martinmartin macrumors 6502

I'm also planning on adding a new line to my existing family plan. And to make things more complicated, the new line will be ported over from Verizon.

I get the feeling that we won't be able to add new lines to existing plans on the preorder page (as it can't be done currently and there are no announcements indicating otherwise).

Another idea (which i think ill do) is go to an ATT store prior to the preorder - add a line by picking up a sim card to use in an old iPhone that i have. Then, when it comes time to preorder, ill be able to choose upgrade existing phone instead of add new line.

Thoughts on this?

13. alanlau007 macrumors member

Make sure ATT doesn't treat your new line as a new 2 years contract before you order iPhone 4.

14. Daddy Mac macrumors member

I dont think you will be able to just upgrade to the iphone 4 2 days after u sign a new contract. MAKE SURE OF THIS BEFORE YOU DO IT

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I added a line in the Apple store last year.

16. elephunkman macrumors 65816

You can preorder and fill out your account details but payment and stuff will be made in store.

17. martinmartin macrumors 6502

went to the store today and transferred a verizon number to a new sim. put the sim in an old iphone 3g and added it as a line on my family plan. confirmed with the guy at least 5 times that the new line will be upgrade eligible. he showed me on his screen that it was indeed upgrade eligible.

and now when i check online, it still says that the new line is upgrade eligible.

so im hoping i can just choose the 'upgrade existing phone' option on the preorder page.

the reason im doing all this is because i will be on the west coast but this particular iphone will need to be delivered to the east coast. i dont want to make my family member go into the store and try to figure all this bs out.

18. Daddy Mac macrumors member

Ok I think I should do the same thing then. I really don't wanna wait on lines to get the new phone. So if I go in on June 15th and add an extra line on my family plan, I will be able to pre-order the iphone 4 for that new line? :) This is great.