Preorder No-contract Device on Launch Day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphoneness, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Does anyone know if I'll be able to preorder just a full priced, locked iPhone on Wednesday? I know they probably won't sell the full price, factory unlocked one in the US at least. But I'm still on a contract with AT&T and want to pay full price for an iPhone, wether it's locked or not. Just can't remember if they did that last year or not.
    Thanks!

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

3. charlieegan3, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Normally it's contract only for the 1st little while.

EDIT: Turns out that is not always the case. Credit:pDFierro

4. Iphoneness thread starter macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

That's what I was worried about. If that's the case, there's another line on the account that is eligible for an upgrade; I'll just use that until they will sell no-contract ones and then return and purchase again.

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Not true. You can buy full-price at pre-order.

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Am I correct that the 4 and 4S launches in the UK featured factory unlocked full price phones at pre-order?

7. Iphoneness thread starter macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Yes, that's what I've been seeing around the net. Apparently they do it in the UK and most of EU but not in the US.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

But there is a difference between buying unlocked in the US and paying full price through AT&T or Verizon.

9. Iphoneness thread starter macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Correct. But I think I remember last year trying to pay full price and it wouldn't let me so I had to pay for an early upgrade instead.

----------

I sure hope so

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Who did you try to buy this from? In my experience, if you have an upgrade available, then Apple won't let you buy full price. I'm with Verizon, and they will let you have the option.

Pre-ordering the new iPhone should be just the same as if you're using an upgrade, you're just paying full price. It's not a different model, like the unlocked ones are. Those usually aren't available in the US right away.

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

So if I had a friend buy a full price phone from Verizon in the USA, it would work here in the UK on GSM as a fully unlocked phone, and if I want to use it in the USA, I could in fact sign up with Verizon or (gasp) use a nano-simm from ATT or one of the other GSM providers?

If so, I might want to think about it getting a friend in the US to get me one as in New Mexico (which is where I would go) Verizon is much much better.

12. Iphoneness thread starter macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Exactly. That makes sense. Now I did order through the Apple website. It wouldn't let me pay full price there. Think it would be different on the AT&T website?

----------

Won't work. It won't be unlocked if he gets it at launch.

13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm sure AT&T would let you have the option. There are many people who pay full price at pre-order, it won't be a problem. But yes, for some reason Apple's website doesn't let you pay full price if you have an upgrade.

14. Iphoneness thread starter macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Also, with the 4S, when you unlock it, it still doesn't work on CDMA networks. If it's the same with the iPhone 5, you won't be able to buy a CDMA device and use it on GSM at all.

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I thought that the GSM (i.e. the sim) was unlocked the buyer is already under contract to Verizon, so they don't care what you do with the GSM portion. Am I wrong? I thought that enabled Verizon customers to use local providers when in Europe as opposed to being locked into US service abroad at exorbitant rates as ATT forces their clients to do when they are here in London.

16. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Oops, I've now changed my original post. Thanks:eek:

17. Iphoneness thread starter macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

I see. Check this out. It might help.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3438489?start=45&tstart=0

18. netdog macrumors 603

netdog