Preorder Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by golfesv, Sep 5, 2012.

1. golfesv macrumors member

So I don't currently have an iphone but plan on preordering the new one next week. My friend works for AT&T and told me it is safer to order it in the store. To prevent lost/stolen or damages to the phone. Now if I do so can I pick it up the day of the release or how will that work. Has anyone done this with previous models?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I just did about 6 different searches of the forums (unlimited timeframe) and was able to find all of one (1) thread about iPhones being lost in delivery. (And even that one was unverified, so I'm assuming the OP would've ranted and raved a lot more had they not received it.)

You're better off ordering from Apple or AT&T.com as soon as pre-orders are made available to get your iPhone ASAP. Heck, some have even been delivered early in the past

I don't know if your friend wants a commission or is just ignorant, but if you wait until the day it goes in sale, you're risking waiting in long lines and/or not getting the exact model or color you prefer b/c they're already out of stock; it just depends on where you live.

3. Azzin macrumors 68040

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

If anyone ever remembers, for in store only (not deliveries), AT&T's preorder guaranteed you a phone. If you preorder iPhone through Apple, you aren't necessarily guaranteed to get a phone even though the stores had more than enough to go around if you arrive early.

5. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I'm ordering online this year.

I love the hype of a bricks-and-mortar Apple Store launch, but can't be bothered with waiting in line for 4+ hours (and thats the best case scenario) to get my phone. I'd rather watch TV at home and wait for the UPS guy to come.

I'll get all my nano sim stuff sorted (if required of course) before the day so the transition from my 4 to the 5 can be as smooth as possible.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Usually, the iPhone comes with a sim ready to go, but you are absolutely correct to be cautious in case the included one doesn't work for whatever reason.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

He's in the UK; SIMs are a different ballgame over there; like "football." ;)

8. Azzin macrumors 68040

That's right-"Football", a game with a "Ball" that is kicked using one's "Foot"! :D

9. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

relevant.

10. golfesv thread starter macrumors member

Yea I did ask him and he more or less said it all depends and he can't make any promises. I was thinking of preordering it at the store and have it delivered to the store and pick it up get all the SIM card stuff sorted if need be. As well as get the phone set up etc...Guess I will see what Apple says next week about all this