Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Catloverwrestler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I'm a college student and live pretty far away from home. I plan on preordering the iphone that comes out on wednesday. My mom used my upgrade to get a new phone a while back, so this time i'm using her upgrade. When I order the new phone, it will be under my moms #. Will I have to go back home to my local att with my mom to get things straighted out or can I just go to an att around where i go to college to get the new phone working for me. Thanks in advance for your replies.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Can't you (or your mum) just get them to send the phone to your college address then activate it online?

ycoidi2000

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
I wish I had the money back in college to buy an iPhone! :)

Then again, I wish I had money back in college to by any cell phone! :D

Then again, I wish they had cell phones back when I was in college!!! :rolleyes:

Catloverwrestler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I wish I had the money back in college to buy an iPhone! :)

Then again, I wish I had money back in college to by any cell phone! :D

Then again, I wish they had cell phones back when I was in college!!! :rolleyes:

I'm getting it sent to my college but I don't know if I will have to go back home to get it activated for my number.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
At least with Verizon, you can go online and swap phones between lines very easily. I have to imagine that AT&T has a similar setup.

I'm in the same boat. I will (technically) be using my wife's upgrade. I will simply activate it when it arrives and then go on verizon.com to swap the line on which it sits. Pretty easy.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
You might want to read a few dozen other posts on this same thing.

some people say you need both phones with you.

As I posted a few hours ago, I have done it three times with the other person nowhere around.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I'm getting it sent to my college but I don't know if I will have to go back home to get it activated for my number.
Where are your ordering the iPhone from as that has a big impact on where the iPhone get's delivered and how it get's activated?

If you order from AT&T's web site then your device is sent to the billing address for the account.

If you order from Apple.com there is a slightly different activation process then is used by orders from AT&T and it can cause additional steps to be performed during the upgrade. It has been an issue for the last several years.

There is not physical need for you to go home to complete the activation. You can do that in your town.

Note: Since you are using your mom's line for the upgrade there is some risk of her having issues based on how the upgrade swap is performed. It really comes down to the skills of the rep performing the swap. Does she have an iPhone today? There is some risk that her voicemail will get reset and she would lose any saved or unreceived voicemails. Yes, it happens every year so planning ahead.

Dave

JLemm

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
I think you're setting yourself up for failure, with previous iphone launches the phone gets shipped to the account billing address and cannot be changed.. you might want to check that out before you try to pre-order and try to have your phone sent to your location. FYI (learned from past launches)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.