Preordering through the Apple Store app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SR71, Sep 3, 2012.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

I just found out that this is possible through the Apple Store app, as other members used this method when preordering the 4S last year.

What was your experience like? How does it compare to preordering on Apple's website? Is it faster/more reliable?

This information would be a great help to me as I plan on preordering the next iPhone (I've never preordered an iPhone before, but have heard stories of orders not going through).

Thanks!

2. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

My personal experience was pretty good compared to the Apple website. I tried for a solid hour on the Apple website and it was just painfully slow and kept timing out. Then I went to the Apple store and tried and their connections were worse than mine. After I left the store, I downloaded the Apple Store app and I had it pre-ordered within a minute or so. My friend had the same experience as we were both trying that morning. I'm gonna try the website first thing when the pre-orders open up (although probably not gonna have much luck) but if it I have problems within the first few minutes, I'm heading for the app.

3. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sounds great so far. Can anyone dispute this? I'd love to hear of others experiences.

Also, on a related note, how long did it take for you to receive your order confirmation email. I did a quick google search and saw that some people said it took them hours:eek:!

4. motty2307 macrumors regular

I tried pre-ordering the iPhone 4 through Apple's website/app and just plain couldn't do it. I think I was online for 3 hours trying to get it done. Finally gave up and went to AT&T's website thinking I'd have the same problem and it took me about five minutes to complete the order, grandfathered data plan and all. I'm not sure how Verizon's pre-ordering is, but AT&T's was flawless for me and I plan on doing the same this year for the iPhone 5.

5. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the input. 1 positive post, 1 negative. I guess I'll try both methods. I can't go through Verizon as its linked to my parents debit cards, so I'll have to order through the Apple Online Store so that it will bill my debit card that's on file with my Apple ID.

Keep the input coming. I'd love to hear more!

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I had the same issues using the app that I had with the website. Just having to constantly refresh and see if you get lucky. However when I used the app, I was able to get through in about 15 minutes vs about 45 on the website. I used the site for the iPhone 4 and the app for the 4S.

If I end up buying this year I will probably try the app first. I assume it's faster because less people are using it vs apple.com

7. mcaddict macrumors member

I tried both the Apple website and the app last year and both kept timing out at first. The app was the first to work reliably again, the order went through just fine after that. I'm trying the app again this time around...

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this. I really think you have to be in the "know" to use the app...e.g macrumors users. Most people will just try the apple.com or att/verizon websites.