Preordering tonight off contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeffzoom91, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jeffzoom91 macrumors regular

jeffzoom91

I think it is obvious that the unlocked versions of the phone will not be available tonight (It would be awesome if they were though), however I upgraded on AT&T on launch day to the 4S.

This of course means they have offered me the early upgrade $250 extra thing.

What I want to know is if I preorder tonight, will there be a way to buy one completely off contract? Say I'm willing to have an AT&T locked phone, but I'd rather pay the completely unsubsidized price for it?

I'm on my father's family plan, and I graduate college right around the time my current contract ends, and do not wish to extend it.

TL;DR Can I pay full price tonight and not extend my contract?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

That's essentially what I'm trying to do. I think you'll have a better shot on AT&T's site by selecting the phone as "no-commitment," and then trying to check out. I don't know if they will do that, though.

3. knelto macrumors regular

I can't speak for AT&T, but I just called Verizon about something similar. Purchasing the phone at full cost will not extend your contract because you are not paying the subsidized amount. My wife and I are due for an upgrade in Feb, but my wife's phone is really struggling (it was dropped in water) so we're going to buy at full price now, buy new phones in Feb extending contract, and reselling the new ones to try to recoup for the cost of buying now.