Preordering with Apple - Can you set a later delivery date (to prevent delivery during vacation)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tx2005, Sep 8, 2015.

1. tx2005 macrumors member

I'm going on vacation at the end of September, which should fall close to the release date for the 6s. I've never preordered an iPhone and was considering it this year.

When you preorder with Apple, can you set a delivery date? I'd hate to have my iPhone be delivered while I'm out of the country for a week and I don't have somebody I trust to come pick up the package for me. On the other hand, not preordering and waiting until early October to buy a phone means I could have a long wait ahead of me. Anybody who has preorders thru Apple know if there is anyway to plan the delivery date or do you just get whatever Apple gives you?

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

No you can't. I've never seen any product for preorder from any company that offers such an option.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Given your situation, I would wait until you return from vacation to order it.

4. ectospheno macrumors member

Add a friends address as a delivery location on your credit card and have them accept it for you while you are gone.

5. the4thmatrix macrumors newbie

Depending on which carrier Apple uses for shipment (for the Apple Watch it was UPS), and assuming you're in the United States, you should be able to divert and delay packages. UPS's service is called My Choice and FedEx is Delivery Manager. Signing up is free for both websites and I *think* delaying delivery is free as well.

As always, with such a big launch, YMMV. For what it's worth, I was able to get my launch day Apple Watch diverted to a local UPS hub for pickup.

6. karmatourer, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Uh,have the carrier hold it for you at an office of theirs near you until you return. Unless of course,you get the tracking # the day of delivery or day before.

7. rockyroad55, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I don't think they will do that until after the first delivery attempt.

UPDATE: Sorry I was wrong. There is a vacation setting on UPS and FEDEX.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

9. dcgore macrumors member

I believe if you pre-order with apple, they will only send it to the address on file with the carrier. This happened to me two years ago.

10. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

As others have stated, UPS My Choice provides a "vacation" setting. You set a timeframe that you'll be gone, and they will hold all your packages until the date you say you're back home, then attempt delivery. I've used it before, works great! Fedex Delivery Manager also provide the same service, but I haven't used it so can't comment on it directly...