Prep iPhone for sale

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmargolis, Sep 24, 2012.

1. jmargolis macrumors member

I've read through old messages and just want to make sure I have this right. I have an iPhone 4S that I want to sell. Here is what I think I need to do:

1. Backup old phone, restore new phone from backup
    2. Erase all content and settings on old phone
    3. Remove sim card from old phone
    4. Profit

Now a few questions:
    * Are the above steps enough to ensure my iMessages don't go to the old phone after it's re-activated? I'm pretty sure it is, just want to double-check.
    * After #2 above, I see my old iPhone still shows up in Find my iPhone (though it shows as offline). I know I can just remove it from Find my iPhone. But the fact that it shows there does that mean I forgot a step?
    * It's my understanding I cannot unlock the device until the contract period is over (in 12 months). So I think I should tell prospective buyers that they'll need to use AT&T at least for next 12 months. After that, they can unlock it. Or do I have to unlock it for them at the end of the contract? When I sold previous iPhone, buyer contacted me a year later and asked if I could unlock it because he needed proof of purchase in order to unlock. So I think it would be nice if I provided a way for the buyer to contact me in the future if he/she wants to unlock it in the future. Or is there another way?
    * Anything else to consider before selling to ensure no privacy or identity issues, etc.?

2. letswastetime macrumors regular

Make sure your remove your old iPhone from your support profile on Apple: https://supportprofile.apple.com/
    From what I understand, this insures that any of your iMessages don't go to your old phone once it is reactivated.

3. jmargolis thread starter macrumors member

Good one. I wasn't aware of the support profile. Looks like it's still under the one year warranty (at least for a few more weeks). Will that carry forward to the new buyer? If so, I'll put that in the ad (i.e., when the one year warranty expires).

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

1. Backup old phone, restore new phone from backup
    2. Turn off iMessage in Settings on old phone
    3. Erase all content and settings on old phone
    4. Remove sim card from old phone
    5. Profit

Removing the phone from your support profile is a good optional step but it has nothing at all to do with iMessage.

5. khadgar2k1 macrumors member

i sold an old phone also and my icloud tabs in safari still show some of the links I used to have open even after restoring to factory settings. how do i get rid of that?