Prepaid GoPhone from AT&T on Iphone? Possible?

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I need to get a prepaid gsm service for voice and data for my iphone 5 and went to an AT&T store. I tried to get the GoPhone service which you can get for just a month, since I am just visiting the US and the guy at the store told me that it might not work data on an iphone because the service will recognize it is an iphone and it wont let it work. Is this true, and if it is, since 2 guys in 2 different stores told me the same, is there a fix for it?

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Yes it is possible. I bought a used iPhone 4 on eBay for $100 and use it on AT&Ts GoPhone service for my high school aged daughter.

For $25 a month she gets 250 minutes of calling and unlimited texts. No data service but of course the phone still gets on wifi at home or wherever available.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
ATT just recently added the iPhone to GoPhone prepaid. $65 gets you unlimited talk and text and 1GB for a month. They offer cheaper prices at $25 and $50 plans but don't include data, so you have to buy an additional data package.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
ATT just recently added the iPhone to GoPhone prepaid. $65 gets you unlimited talk and text and 1GB for a month. They offer cheaper prices at $25 and $50 plans but don't include data, so you have to buy an additional data package.
Sounds like a new thing not all salespeople knows about.

Go into Walmart, get the Straight Talk and fergitaboutit.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Straight talk is no longer selling the AT&T sim cards in most states.
Oh, so data works no with gophone on the iphone? Well, then probably these sales people they have dont know anything.
So is Straight talk better than gophone? In any case i dont think it is available in my Walmart.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Oh, so data works no with gophone on the iphone? Well, then probably these sales people they have dont know anything.
So is Straight talk better than gophone? In any case i dont think it is available in my Walmart.
Some people who still have AT&T with Straight talk prefer it but they don't offer unlimited data. You can still find Straight talk AT&T sims on eBay for about $35-$60.

I'm using T-Mobile on my iPhone and have been very happy with it. Usually get about 4-10Mbps.

On AT&T, I pretty much get edge speeds.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Some people who still have AT&T with Straight talk prefer it but they don't offer unlimited data. You can still find Straight talk AT&T sims on eBay for about $35-$60.

I'm using T-Mobile on my iPhone and have been very happy with it. Usually get about 4-10Mbps.

On AT&T, I pretty much get edge speeds.
I am now using Simple Mobile which uses the T-Mobile network but I can hardly hear the other party on a conversation and it is always on Edge here. Thatswhy I wanted to switch to At&t.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Anyone using the $60 GoPhone AT&T plan? if so can you share about LTE access? ( they said they were going to allow it) and is visual voicemail and tethering allowed?

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
I need to get a prepaid gsm service for voice and data for my iphone 5 and went to an AT&T store. I tried to get the GoPhone service which you can get for just a month, since I am just visiting the US and the guy at the store told me that it might not work data on an iphone because the service will recognize it is an iphone and it wont let it work. Is this true, and if it is, since 2 guys in 2 different stores told me the same, is there a fix for it?
NET10 has a AT&T sim, however they do throttle alot, so don't use more then 1.5 gigs of data or stream youtube or pandora, otherwize you'll get cut off (Funny, that's their idea of unlimited)