Prepaid GoPhone from AT&T on Iphone? Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hgrimberg, Jun 5, 2013.

1. hgrimberg macrumors 6502a

hgrimberg

I need to get a prepaid gsm service for voice and data for my iphone 5 and went to an AT&T store. I tried to get the GoPhone service which you can get for just a month, since I am just visiting the US and the guy at the store told me that it might not work data on an iphone because the service will recognize it is an iphone and it wont let it work. Is this true, and if it is, since 2 guys in 2 different stores told me the same, is there a fix for it?

2. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Yes it is possible. I bought a used iPhone 4 on eBay for $100 and use it on AT&Ts GoPhone service for my high school aged daughter.

For $25 a month she gets 250 minutes of calling and unlimited texts. No data service but of course the phone still gets on wifi at home or wherever available.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

ATT just recently added the iPhone to GoPhone prepaid. $65 gets you unlimited talk and text and 1GB for a month. They offer cheaper prices at $25 and $50 plans but don't include data, so you have to buy an additional data package.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sounds like a new thing not all salespeople knows about.

Go into Walmart, get the Straight Talk and fergitaboutit.

5. larock macrumors member

GoPhone data plans do work. You will need to change the APN using www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit. Another option would be one of T Mobiles plans.

6. 617aircav Suspended

You can use this till aio wireless come to your area. For $55 you get 2gigs.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Straight talk is no longer selling the AT&T sim cards in most states.

8. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

hgrimberg

Oh, so data works no with gophone on the iphone? Well, then probably these sales people they have dont know anything.
    So is Straight talk better than gophone? In any case i dont think it is available in my Walmart.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Some people who still have AT&T with Straight talk prefer it but they don't offer unlimited data. You can still find Straight talk AT&T sims on eBay for about $35-$60.

I'm using T-Mobile on my iPhone and have been very happy with it. Usually get about 4-10Mbps.

On AT&T, I pretty much get edge speeds.

10. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

hgrimberg

I am now using Simple Mobile which uses the T-Mobile network but I can hardly hear the other party on a conversation and it is always on Edge here. Thatswhy I wanted to switch to At&t.

11. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Anyone using the $60 GoPhone AT&T plan? if so can you share about LTE access? ( they said they were going to allow it) and is visual voicemail and tethering allowed?

12. TheProFTW macrumors regular

NET10 has a AT&T sim, however they do throttle alot, so don't use more then 1.5 gigs of data or stream youtube or pandora, otherwize you'll get cut off (Funny, that's their idea of unlimited)