Preparations being made for Trump's overseas visit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, May 19, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Reading this... This is just utterly depressing. Politico has an in-depth article out on how the various groups who will be receiving Trump during his whirlwind world tour are preparing for his arrival. It's kinda amazing; the whole thing is well worth reading, but let me just quote a bit of what is going on in one of the locations:

Some of the reported preparations for the NATO session in Brussels this week suggest just how much the volatile-clown theory of the American president has now taken hold.

NATO has downgraded the May 25 session to a meeting from a summit and will hold only a dinner to minimize the chances of a Trump eruption. Leaders have been told to hold normally windy remarks to just two to four minutes to keep Trump’s attention. They are even preparing to consider a “deliverable” to Trump of having NATO officially join the U.S.-led coalition fighting the Islamic State in Syria, as Trump has said his priority is getting NATO to do more in combating terrorism. “It’s a phony deliverable to give to Trump, a Twitter deliverable,” said a former senior U.S. official, pointing out that the individual NATO member states are already members of that coalition.​

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/19/trump-middle-east-trip-saudi-arabia-215163

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

they also have to baby proof everywhere he is staying. hide sharp objects limit tv and electric access.

3. 0007776 Suspended

Can we just build a wall and keep him from coming back?

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

giant baby play pen? sure.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I say we keep him inside The Vatican. It can be his city...the best city! Bigly!

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hey, what do you think of Trump's comments from 2014. Do you think he'll do what he's talking about?

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/509881954326835200

"Tell Saudi Arabia and others that we want (demand!) free oil for the next ten years or we will not protect their private Boeing 747s.Pay up!"

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Trump isn't interested in their normal ******** and isn't going to be there to bow down or kiss anyone's ass. Get to the deliverables.

8. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Funny, just one visit from Xi Jinping and Trump was suddenly singing China's praises, removing his "currency manipulator" title from them, falling into line behind them on North Korea policy, and setting up a new deal to increase trade with them.

It seems weird, but meeting face-to-face seems to trigger some sort of servile response in Trump.

9. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Could Pence sign EO to not allow customs entry of orange people for six months?......it's a thought.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think he's trying for the "we met and I fixed it" approach which is ********.

China is going to continue on an upward spike though as they move from immitation to innovation, so Trump could do worse than to have a good relationship.

11. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Don't you think it must be strange to be Trump and read something like this? All over the media now are reports of how things are shortened up to accommodate his attention span, briefings made one-pagers with pictures or simple graphs etc. Or does he see that as the world just shifting gears to welcome his new improved rule?

I try to see all this from his eyes sometimes, but I must still be overlaying my own mindset because tbh I'd be insulted to read in the press that someone dumbed down briefings for me, even thought it might be necessary. I mean the age of a "Renaissance Man" has been over for a long time despite search engines being a click away.

It's normal for the media to give us glimpses of a new president's daily official and informal routines, what he likes to eat and read and so forth. I know there have been accounts of presidential preferences on briefings. But honestly I can't recall pieces about international institutions deciding to alter plans for events a US president will attend specifically to acknowledge his short attention span and his short fuse if it's overtaxed. Not saying those decisions aren't wise ones. Not even saying there have not been such occasions with other heads of state and related press coverage; I guess Kruschchev was known to be irascible in public sometimes. There remains some question whether he actually banged a shoe on his desk at the UN that time, or merely brandished it... Just curious if others remember instances like this summit plan revision having been made to help minimize untoward reactions from other American presidents.

13. niploteksi macrumors regular

When you are really smart it's tedious to listen to stupid people for a long time.

[​IMG]

14. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

LMAO.......LMFAO.........LOL

Had to chuckle couple of times as one word chuckles not permitted.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Actually, it's a good result to be honest. Probably an unintended consequence of Trump's presidency, but what it means is that they will have to keep everything to a minimum (kinda like the presidential security briefings), which will force the removal of some smoke. A rarity in government!

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Trump does not read everything so pence can get him to sign his own ban.

17. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

:confused: Brilliant:D.......hey maybe slip in a resignation letter. Good to have as a back-up.o_O

18. Huntn, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Is this serious? Are you serious? ;) If this is real, then Trump has the characteristic of a brainiac with very low common sense, and other detrimental personality qualities, and it fails to analyze judgement and mental defects/illness.

However, a quick search of Donald Trump IQ produces a link with this exact chart, refutes it's accuracy, with this description.

The original chart is based on data from a 2006 study conducted by University of California, Davis psychologistDean Keith Simonton. As IQ scores were not available for most of the presidents, Simonton used a historiometric approach to estimate their results:

In the conventional approach to measuring IQ, a person is given a standardized test, such as the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale, and their score on the test is assumed to reflect their level of intelligence (with some amount of random error). By contrast, in the historiometric approach, a person’s IQ is quantitatively estimated based on variables having known correlations with IQ, such as highest level of education, academic honors, scores on college admissions exams, occupation, and preferences.

Based on the bolded, I don't see this as an accurate score for Trump.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

18556110_1379608305458503_5375497122413645449_n.jpg
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2017 ---
    I think the chart would be accurate if Trump were at the top of based on % of lies told. However, I'm not sure the rest of the chart follows.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The Teflon Don continues to be simply amazing. :rolleyes:

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

High IQ and high functionality in ordinary life don't have any required relationship, do they? I'm not going to get all anecdotal here, but let's face it, if we're honest we could all go there with a few stories from on the job, at least in my experience.

22. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

What's the over/under for the number of times he messes up on this trip?

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Who really knows? He loads the dice wherever he plays but he hides how he loads them even from himself.

A fullbore patriot would just hope for a string of happy faces at all the stops along the route.

A pragmatist figures all the watering holes have received the script of how to make that happen at their oasis and they'll carry their share of responsibility for putting up smiles all around.

A partisan Democrat might hope Trump does something stupid enough to demo his incompetence but not bad enough to cause an international incident.

An anarchist hopes Trump does something far enough out of protocol to rearrange the map of global alliances.

I'd say the chances of his messing up are pretty limited. It seems to me everyone participating wants this trip to be seen as successful. In other countries the sense that Trump's hold on the presidency could be tenuous is perhaps not as great as some here would think. So, they want to get along with him, show him they appreciate him and understand his preferences. Whatever they think about him or his idiosyncracies, they're going to try to be gracious hosts.

It could be later on that some things would need to get smoothed out. Trump does tend to live in the now unless he takes offense, and then he can fixate on whatever that is, and won't let it slide into the past. If on his way home he thinks about some little thing that startled him or annoyed him and someone on staff had managed to keep him from going off over it, he might have something to say about it at some random moment back here at home, and depending on what it is and when and how he says it, that could ruffle feathers back on the trail of this tour. That's what ambassadors are supposed to be able to fix up. Or, Tillerson if we lack an ambassdor on the spot.

I'm an American and love my country so I hope this trip goes okay. I also think if he actually enjoys parts of it, that's good. He needs to be away from last week's rising drum beats about the investigations and the special counsel appointment and all that. He doesn't do well when he gets frustrated by how little control he has over the press, over other branches of his own administration or Congress. This little breather, assuming it goes okay, is good for everyone even if some of the "deals" or agreements made are just new dresses on old arrangements, or thin veneer washed over lingering issues.

Yeah I'm wearing my rose colored glasses. It's the weekend by god and nobody's going to ruin it.

24. Scepticalscribe, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I believe that there is supposed to be a photograph of Nikita Khrushchev at the UN - the time he brandished a shoe in his hand, banging the podium with it - shot from the rear, which shows that he is wearing a pair of shoes.

In other words, Khrushchev's "rages" (especially when abroad) were partly contrived, partly "a show" - above all, to throw interlocutors and perceived opponents off balance - and occasionally deliberately (particularly if he thought he - or his state - were being patronised) indulged.

That trip to the US - read about it - lasted a number of weeks; Khrushchev was mobbed almost everywhere he went, and visited Hollywood where he thoroughly enjoyed himself.

I assumed that this was intended as irony; somehow, I don't see Mr Trump as an unusually inarticulate version of Albert Einstein.

Not really, @yaxomoxay; you have read about Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger. Do you really think that either of them would have had the remotest respect for the sort of one page document written in grade school English that this suggests is all Mr Trump is capable of reading?

International relations, and foreign and domestic policy are a lot more nuanced than that, and so are the contexts that give rise to them, and the briefing material given to a half intelligent (and ever so slightly intellectually curious president) would reflect this.

Good grief. Mr Trump's intellectual laziness - and I am beginning to suspect, lack of capacity - makes both G. W. Bush and Ronald Reagan appear as though they were intellectual giants.

Agreed.

As I noted above, I assume that this is a joke.

Indeed: But Mr Trump does not strike me as Rain Man, or the proverbially awkward office geek and nerd whom we know to be exceptionally bright - and amazing at specific elements, or features, of his job - but something of a social disaster.

That profile does not fit Mr Trump, as - on top of all of his other manifold shortcomings - he also strikes me as being exceptionally incompetent, and frankly, not especially bright.

25. Cox Orange, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

You assume he reads it. If he read it, he would say it's fake news, even though he should know it is true next time he gets a one-pager with graphs and pictures on it. He'll be in denial. Then again he will say that this is the normal procedure and has been done for every president. Also I try to see him more like the todler who sees his own hand destroying the pile of stacked boxes and then firmly believing - no, "knowing" - it wasn't him who did it, when asked.
    "short attention span" = reads to Trump "he is so fast at understanding, he only needs to look shortly at it" or simply: "short" = "quick" -> being quick is good.
    I bet - plus he will think "only for me they do that special service, that shows how important I am. They would've not for anyone else".

If they wrote "dumbed down", but when they phrase it in written, "intellectual", newspaper language he might not get it. He probably thinks it is just a description of what is done.
    Even, if they use the word "simplified", he might not think of it like simple/stupid, but simple/easy. He might also think "why have these so called scientists talk and write so endlessly. They think they know it all. No, think of it, I know better than them. Think of it. It's just... I mean... they just want to show off. Those people with their glasses on."

----
    When I read another article and the comment section that made fun of him, like "Apparently to make him laugh and clap his hands they pull the reports from behind his ear with a flourish.", suddenly the image of a spoiled Infante that succeeded too early to the throne came to my mind, like: "we let him torture the puppies before we hand him the list of people he has too choose from, who to let live and who to die. He is usually that bored then, that he isn't interested in seeing to many prisoners being punished with too many different sorts of torture-to-death".

PS: just thinking of Steve Bannon briefing him and Trump travelling the middle east and then without necessity talking bad about Israel to impress one of the Arab leaders and saying something like "Those whiners. I mean, we all know holocaust it never happened. I mean, if someone invented rat poison so good it can kill people, they would have sold it bigly. Wouldn't they? I would've. Think of it. Think of it."