Preparing For OSX Lion: How To Erase My Mac's HD, Freshly Reinstall SL & Wait 4 Lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Jul 4, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Yo,

So my 2009 MBP has been quite sluggish lately. Boot up time takes almost a minute and every time I close the lid, the screen always turns off and then back on with the apple logo lighting up for 10 seconds. Also, when playing music in iTunes on my MBP and turn the brightness of the screen all the way down, the screen lights up by itself once every 30 minutes or so. Furthermore, the 500GB Hard Drive on my current 09' MBP is the same hard drive that was on my 06' white MacBook. The HD was purchased in early 2008 I believe.

I believe there isn't truly a need to do a complete erase and reinstall on Apple computers but would prefer this peace of mind, especially considering purchasing Lion when it first comes out.

I'm not too confident how to go about it but figured it would go something like this:?

I have an external HD, of which I would connect to my MBP and back up all my files, documents, movies, music, photos etc using Carbon Copy for Mac. At least, I believe this was the program that would allow me to then take out my 500GB HD in my MBP and swap it with the external HD and pop the external HD into my Mac and have my MBP start up like that. I'd do this with the intent of then securely erasing my 500GB HD and treating it as external HD using Disk Utility. After which, I'd put the 500GB HD back into my MBP and pop in the SL disk and do a complete reinstall.

Is this method correct or too cumbersome?

I'm eager to do this sooner, as in the next day or two but figure I could probably wait till Lion actually comes out.

Any guidance, advice, tips...appreciated. :)

2. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Anyone?

As of now I'm thinking I;ll most likely be download the appropiate app, be it carbon copy or w/e else it is and copy a replica of my MBP's HD to an external HD;;; then swap the HD's and erase my 500GB HD and then once again pop it back into my MBP and add SL from scratch using the disc...

Correct way to go about it?
    :apple::apple::apple::apple:

3. Patman macrumors newbie

I think you can show package contents and burn your own disc image if you want. That should be faster than installing then upgrading, probably just as if not a cleaner install.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Don't "over-intellectualize" what you have to do.

Actually, the best course of action might be to do a "temporary/experimental" install of Lion onto a spare drive or partition, just to see how it works.

Migrate your accounts/data/apps over, and see how things are working BEFORE you "wipe" Snow Leopard.

If things are working well enough, THEN it's time to wipe the old System clean, and use CarbonCopyCloner to "dupe" your newly-created Lion partition "back over to" your main drive.

I still keep an old, original partition with my original installation of 10.4.11 on my 2007 iMac, "just in case".....

5. dronex macrumors member

Hi, I found my situation is quite similar to yours. And just for the past few days or so I have reinstalled my Snow Leopard. But before that, here's my go on how to deal with this myself.

• First, I made a full copy/clone of my drive on my 500GB external HDD, which took me around 5 hours;
    • Then, since I've got my original stuffs securely cloned to another drive, I can now feeling in peace to reinstall Snow Leopard (Well, the reason I wanna do a reinstall is because I skinned some of the icons and customised the scrollbar and stuff and I don't want them to ruin my upgrade to Lion so there you go);
    • Reinstall using the DVD that comes with your laptop (Well, it's Snow Leopard I reckon)
    • DON'T, I mean in my opinion, DON'T COPY DOCUMENTS RIGHT AFTER THE REINSTALL. I prefer moving them by hand so I have a clear idea on what I have done, rather than let the computer do all the dirty without me knowing it
    • So, there you go, a fresh Snow Leopard, and do all the updates and copy some of the applications you think that wouldn't cause trouble from the ext. drive

This took me quite a long time to complete but I think it's worth it since I believe this helps when we are going to upgrade our computer into Lion, and just to be organised and get rid of all the customisation before you go.

Hope this helps!!

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

What program did you use to create an external bootable copy?

I'm thinking of going the SuperDuper route, seeing as I believe I used it when I had Tiger and Leopard was coming out.

7. unobtainium macrumors 68000

That sounds complicated. Personally my plan was to do a clean install of Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Lion and restore all my old files from Time Machine. Will this work?

Actually, maybe I'll just do a simple upgrade. If that's the "official" method it can't be too bad right? I know everyone always says that a clean install is better, but it sounds so troublesome.

8. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Definitely worth it to me.

9. dronex macrumors member

Well, I'm just using Carbon Copy Cloner. But really, SuperDuper can do the same thing as well.

All you need is just make a bootable backup, that's all, while Time Machine is simply backing up files in a way that isn't really bootable, in my experience. It only helps when you're really using Time Machine again after you clean install but I don't prefer that way personally.

10. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

Your best bet is to do a clean install of Lion when it come out.
    Here is how:

"Burning A Lion Boot Disc

•. Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.
    •. Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”
    •. Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.
    •. Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another folder like the Desktop.
    •. Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.
    •. Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc to come out toasty hot.
    With this disc you can boot any Lion compatible Mac, and install 10.7 just like you installed previous version of Mac OS X. You can even use Disk Utility's Restore function to image your Lion boot disc image onto a external drive suitable for performing a clean install on a optical-drive-less MacBook Air, or Mac mini server. Clean installs with Lion are easy once you find where Apple has hidden the boot disk."

This is what I intend to do when Lion comes out... good luck