Prepay for iPhone in US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iammike1, Nov 19, 2011.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

If I travel to the states with an unlocked iPhone, what are the best prepay options that would give me phone, SMS, and data and come with a SIMthat wouldn't need to be modified for the iPhone 4S?

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

To my knowledge, there's only 2 that you would be able to use: AT&T and T-Mobile. With AT&T GoPhone Prepaid, you can get the most out of your iPhone, but as far as pricing, I have no idea. I'm sure it's on their site. T-Mobile only supports the iPhone's 2G/EDGE technology so you will be "crippled" but I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper than AT&T's prepaid plans. Again, I'm unsure about the pricing of T-Mobile prepaid plans. I'm sure it's on their site.

How long are you staying? If at least 1-2 months, I would consider the postpaid plans, contract free. It would be the better and easier way.

Now, the SIM cards. I know the phones for both AT&T and T-Mobile can be bought anywhere phones are sold. Most, if not all, have the normal-sized SIM card. I am not sure if they carry the smaller SIM card. I heard cutting it down to size isn't difficult and does no damage if done correctly. Or, you can always get the proper one from the carrier stores (bring old one) and have it transferred to your phone as a prepaid phone. They may/may not charge you for the SIM card and any other services they provide since you are a prepaid customer.

You don't have to believe me or take my word for it. This is just a conglomeration of information.

3. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Thanks for the info. Only staying 3 weeks max the way it's looking. Have to look up AT&T's Go Phone info.