Prepay SIM's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamets515, Sep 21, 2013.

1. jamets515 macrumors regular

Hi :)

I'm sending my old iP5 to my fiancé in PA from the UK. I had a look at price plans online and got lost. It doesn't seem as straight forward as it is in the UK! Tariffs seem to be much more expensive over there... or am I missing something?

In your opinion, what's the best value prepay sim card available for use with an iPhone?

Sorry if this seems like a really stupid question!

2. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

US prepaid is definitely not as straight forward as UK paygo. I travel internationally often so I know what you're used to seeing and US is way behind in this kind of pricing. Well, perhaps I should say the US carriers can still get away with it.

It really depends on the individual's usage but I think T-Mobile is probably more along the lines of what you're looking for in terms of how plans are structured. BUT, that model i5 may not be compatible w/ T-Mobile's LTE system.

You may want to take a read at this article. It breaks down some of the payg plans/carriers.

But in general, yes, US prepaid is more expensive and confusing. On purpose. :(

3. jamets515 thread starter macrumors regular

Good god this is confusing! Looks like I have a lot of reading to do. Thank you for the link! He is going to be there for a few years so I'll look into pay monthly contracts as well.

I went to Hong Kong this summer and was amazed at their prepay plans. I was there for a week and bought a 3 prepay SIM for about £20. Didn't have to top it up once. I had texts, voice and 4G data (I used a lot of all three) and it just never ran out. Didn't have to worry about it! We all need a step forwards in plan pricing.

4. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I'm using AT&T' GoPhone. I'm on the $60 plan (which is cheaper and tax free if purchased online.)

My iPhone 4 is only 3G, but if I had a 5, 5C, or 5S, it would give me LTE speeds.

You can look at other AT&T MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) who are a kind of 'sub-contractors' for AT&T as well. These would be Straight Talk, AIO, NET10..etc. I've found that the pricing for unlimited voice, text and about 2GB of data is within a few bucks of each other.