Preperation for the Unthinkable (New owner of a 17 MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alhajis, May 7, 2009.

1. alhajis macrumors member

Ok here we go! I have a 2.5ghz 17 mbp with 320gb hdd, 4gb ram. My question is I've setup time machine with a 250gb external hdd and I have 500gb 2.5 externa hdd for transfering files to and from my pc. Today I just got another 500gb wd mybook but this time I want to do something like making an image of my mbp hdd so if something goes bad with my mbp's hdd,I'll just swap it and restore cos I don't have the os x cd. but don't know what's the best solution for that, cos I'm like a week of using a mac. So if it was you, what will you do with all these hdds? I mean backup wise??

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can create one partition on the 500GB MyBook HDD, that will suffice for your backup clone (you have 232GB used on the internal 297GB HDD, so create a partition using Disk Utility that is around 250GB, and then use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to clone the MBP to that MyBook.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Exactly as spinnerlys suggests
    Use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner (I use CCC)

I also use Time Machine as well to get the best of both worlds

Time Machine isn't bootable, but allows you to go back in time to get things you deleted, etc. Carbon Copy Cloner makes a bootable system that has you up and running in a flash if you have a disaster. Just keep your clone current (it has a scheduler for cloning to do this).

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

thank you guys

thanks... so how do i devide the 500gb wd hdd? i mean 300-200 or 250-250? please help... i'm new to all this. Thanks

5. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

what type of partition

what type of partition do i choose? i mean to clone my hdd? i saw: GUID, APPLE PARTITION MAP, AND MASTER BOOT RECORD?

6. The General macrumors 601

You can put the Leopard disk in your computer and fully restore the entire computer from a Time Machine backup. Time Machine backs up everything.

7. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm?

i said before that i no longer have os x discs... what type of partition do i choose? for cloning my hdd?

8. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

To answer your question... use GUID partition table.

You can still clone your existing hard drive even if you don't have the OS X restore disks. Get a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner and then connect your external disk, run Disk Utility and select your external drive, and erase it, choosing MacOS Extended (Journaled) format. Then, run CCC and select your source disk (your Mac HD) and your target disk (the external) and do a "backup everything" clone. The first time you do this, click "delete items that don't exist on the source" and it will do a complete copy of your hard drive which should be bootable. When this is finished (could take a little while depending on how many gigs have to be copied) reboot your Mac from the external disk to make sure it works. Once you're sure it's a good clone, you can swap the drives out if you're upgrading your internal drive, and should be good to go. If you're only doing it as a backup, then you can just keep doing incremental backups to the clone. It's fairly self-explanatory once you're doing it.

I'd recommend using a bare drive in an external enclosure rather than an external drive if you're going to install the cloned drive in your MBP, because if you take apart an existing external drive, you'll void the warranty on the hard drive, although it would work.

Good luck.

PS: What happened to your restore disks? They can be pretty handy, so maybe you should get new ones from Apple.

9. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

thank you all... Again

Now I get it... One more thing? How do I boot from the external cloned drive? I mean to check it. Thanks again

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

plug the drive in and turn it on. press and hld option until the hard drive selection comes up.

11. The General macrumors 601

So download one. You own a license, it wouldn't be piracy.

12. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

wow!

You guys have help me alot! I got everything working perfectly. Hopefuly I'll be helping someone else some day.
    May God bless you all...

13. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

So how can I download one?

14. The General macrumors 601

You'll have to figure that out on your own. The people who run this forum would probably consider it piracy, whether or not you own a license and just lost the disk.

15. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

Oh! Ok.... I'll choose the green pill and follow the white rabit...

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Or you can contact Apple for legitimate replacement disks as pdxflint suggested

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

Yeah...! That's what I'm gonna do. I hope they don't charge me alot.

18. The General macrumors 601

I'm pretty sure they charge $30.

19. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

Cool! I'll go to the apple store on Saturday. Thanks again guys...