Prepping for Preorder: Tips from a "seasoned vet"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dccorona, Sep 12, 2012.

1. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Hey everyone, I just wanted to get a thread going to help everyone in the MacRumors community have a smooth a preorder process as possible. Every year, there's people here complaining about the preorder process, and a lot of strife can be avoided by being prepared.

The advice I can give only pertains to ordering from the Apple Website for AT&T as an UPGRADE, as that's all I have experience with. Anyone who has done it in other ways is welcome to add their knowledge to this thread.

THERE ARE A FEW RUMORS THAT PREORDERS WILL START TODAY: I don't find this likely, but I've prepared anyway, just in case, and you should too.

For preordering through the Apple online store, it is VERY IMPORTANT that the billing address on your account be the address you want the iPhone sent to BEFORE you begin the preorder process. I recommend you double check this now, and make any necessary changes.

Check which lines are eligible now, and decide what line(s) you will be upgrading on. Things get hectic on preorder day, and you don't want to be checking eligibility in the middle of all that. Note that upgrade swaps are very possible and quite easy, so that's an option for you.

And, above all, start hitting the site as soon as preorders open. I hate to tell people to swamp the site, because it does mean we're all in for a slower experience, but these things ALWAYS sell out on day one, and you don't want to be without because you waited a few hours for everything to die down.

Again, any other pointers, feel free to add to this thread. Happy iPhone day!

2. Taylor-C macrumors 6502a

Bit late now to change addresses and stuff... The stores been down for hours...

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I've done an upgrade swap before, but it was in person with both phones present. Is this a necessity? For example, can I:
    1. Preorder the iPhone 5 using the upgrade of another line on my family plan
    2. Have it shipped to my home
    3. Swap its activation for my phone number over the phone
    4. Leave the family member's phone untouched (which is in a different state)
    5. Jump with glee as I play with my newly activated iPhone 5
    Presumably the first two steps are easy, but I'm not sure what to do about doing the device swap without my family's phone being present

P.S. FAN account, if that makes any sort of difference

4. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Why?

5. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Other things to make it go easier is maybe call CC company and let them know buying a phone, some during this time auto-reject due to fraud. And keep in mind the day pre orders open up, it will be slow and slower with everyone ordering at same time. Dont hit submit multiple times because that can cause an error and cancel your order.

6. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

Second this. I am interested.

7. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

BTW, I ported my site from the Retina Macbook Pro to the iPhone 5 to help everyone keep track of their shipments.

8. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Apple does not allow you to change the shipping address for an iPhone to a different address when ordering. They can only ship to the billing address. You can get a shipping address change done through Customer Service after placing your order, but that will inevitably take a lot longer to call and be placed on hold than to just update your address with your wireless carrier first.

Another tip. There is no reason to flood the site when the pre-orders first start or at prime time which will likely be between 6-9am. Wait a few hours to try again later and things will go much smoother for you. The phone will not sell out within an hour or two so just wait a bit until the rush dies down or else it only causes you and everyone else strife when trying to get the pages and checkout to load.

Lastly, do not flood the chat representatives with a million questions that you can easily find out on your own. The chat will also be flooded with people needing true assistance. Take it direct from the source :p

9. jfletch7 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know the start time of the pre-order?

10. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

on apples site:

Or buy at your favorite Apple Retail Store
    starting at 8:00 a.m. on September 21.

Assuming this will be start time on web our local Apple store doesnt open until 10am unless they are opening early

11. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

I'm guessing they meant at what time to online pre-orders start. I've heard 12am Pacific time, but I haven't seen confirmation from someone who has done this before on the 4 or 4S. Can OP confirm this?

12. Inf4life macrumors regular

Inf4life

Go ahead and wait a couple hours and let me know if it doesn't sell out. I'll be on as soon as preorders go online so I don't miss out on it.

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

4s preordering began at 12 midnight PST (3 AM EST).

14. benguild macrumors 6502a

Are you saying they'll only ship to the billing address?

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Same here. IIRC, the estimated delivery for the 4s moved back from the launch date shortly after preordering began (1-2 hours?).

16. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

Yes they will be only sent to billing address and at least thru fedex a signature is required.

17. myworld2008 macrumors regular

The main question is what time they will start taking Pre-orders???

12pm PST on sept 14
    OR
    in morning of sept 14??

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yes, did that last year, whatever you do, don't turn the phone on. Pop that sim out and either give ATT a call or go into a store. I say go into a store since call centers will be swamped that day. The ATT rep will tie the sim card serial to your account and the other device is untouched.

19. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

Awesome, thank you! I'm usually up at 12am anyway.

20. myworld2008 macrumors regular

That will be bad as i live in EST...

3 am EST and work next day...

21. Unconsoled macrumors regular

Sorry for the question but make sure the AT&T billing address is the same as where you want it delivered or the CC billing address?

22. felixroqu3 macrumors regular

felixroqu3

Will there be some kind of official announcement from apple stating at what time pre-orders will start on the 14th?

23. socbrian macrumors regular

New to the whole pre-order business, to be clear you have to ship the phone to where you are billed on my ATT account? I understand why because it is a security issue. But someone said you can call after your order is placed and change the shipping adress? and lastly can you pre-order for in-store pickup?

24. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yup, same here. I'm usually up late (12-1 am) but thankfully am not working Friday so I foresee a nap after dropping off the kids at school. :D

----------

Yes. I have this problem every year as my wife's employer pays her bill so I just log in online, change the billing address before the preorder and switch it back upon delivery.

25. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

How can you just pop that sim out when these use Nano sims? I don't know how easily acquired those will be on launch day.