Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dnest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I wear prescription sunglasses but I usually just keep them in my car. So I put them on today and looked at my phone, and the screen looked blue. This didn't happen with my 4s. Not that I'm complaining, I just thought it was weird. Has this happened to anyone else?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I wear prescription sunglasses but I usually just keep them in my car. So I put them on today and looked at my phone, and the screen looked blue. This didn't happen with my 4s. Not that I'm complaining, I just thought it was weird. Has this happened to anyone else?

Your glasses must be polarized? Reminds me of the time I was at the gas station and it looked like the display on the pump was black. I was about to go in and report that the pump was broken, but then I took off my polarized sunglasses and it appeared.

Crotalus_Joe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
This is one of my few pet peeves with the 5, it does not work well with my polarized sunglasses. I end up having to hold it lower and look out the bottom of my glasses.

I am guessing it has to do with the process of integrating the touch sensors into the screen since i didnt have these issues with the 4.

CSMchris376

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Illinois
I get something similar with my 4S. If I turn the screen sideways with my prescription glasses on, that are polarized, the screen will darken up. I also experienced what the other poster described with the gas pump. Freaked me out at first as well.

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Happens with my non-prescription sunglasses too. When the phone is tilted 45 degrees to the left / right it's clear though :D

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
LCDs (even the old segmented displays found in things like pocket calculators and digital watches) contain polarizing films as part of their design. There is always the possibility that these will effect viewing through polarized sunglasses. It's a combination of the orientation of the film and the orientation of the polarizing layer in the glasses, so it's pretty much impossible for the display vendor to take it into account.

tigerfan41

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Nope, no issues with my prescription sunglasses (though they're not polarized--just super dark). I did have my mom (who has polarized sunglasses) take a look at her 4S with the glasses on and she said it looked weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.