Presentation on Contraceptives and The Catholic church tomorrow

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hummer, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I'm currently finishing up this project on the catholic church and its teachings about contraceptives. This is for religion class. My teacher gave out a couple of different topics and he assigned the same topic to two groups, but one group is against the topic and the other group is for the topic no matter what view the group has on the topic.

I currently have 3 points for tomorrow's presentation and debate on my group's topic which is Contraception.

Our points are that:

Contraceptives decrease the spread of STDs in general, whether or not they work 99.9998% of the time.​

Contraceptives help decrease the number of children born to incompetent parents.​

Contraceptives help rape victims erase their slate. ​

I was wondering if anyone else had more good points on this topic.

P.S. I didn't start this thread to have a debate about why or why not contraceptives are moral.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't have much to add. but have you checked out planned parenthood's site on contraception and such for statistics and other such info. i'd say its a good resource for you to use imo. good luck.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm not sure what the number is, but it's less than 99% for condom effectiveness.

Competent people are the most likely to use condoms correctly.

Outside of "morning after" solutions, a rape victim has no say in whether contraception is used.

My $0.02.

4. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Agreeing with the previous posts, and adding:
    Contraceptives decrease the spread of STDs in general, whether or not they work 99.9998% of the time.
    - That would be MALE contraceptives, i.e., condoms. Female contraceptives like the pill do not decrease STD's.

Contraceptives help rape victims erase their slate.
    - I know where you want to go with this, but this is very poorly worded. The psychological and physical "slate" is not erased. I think you want to say that it reduces the trauma.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That isn't right either. The trauma isn't reduced. But a woman has a chance to not have a physical daily reminder of her attack, and a chance not to have a rapist try to contact her child 20 years later.

And in hindsight, I need to modify my statement on this situation earlier. Obviously female birth control such as the pill (or patch or whatever form it takes) CAN prevent a rape victim from becoming pregnant. But the likelihood of a woman taking hormone supplements soley to reduce her risk of impregnation by rape is pretty low I would suspect.

6. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I think that was what I meant by "reducing the trauma" as a long term experience, but I agree, it's an awkward phrase.

7. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

I hear you, Hummer, but you might rephrase it "decrease the number of children born to people who are not ready to become parents".

'Course it also reduces the need for abortions, but I think in their view, it's 6 one way, half dozen another. *shrugs*

Good luck on your presentation.