Presenting a keynote from my cMBP 13

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
I have a particular problem I am trying to solve.

I will be presenting a keynote in my human resources management class in college. Our classrooms have projectors and computers as well as a variety of pigtails to connect computers (VGA, HDMI are the two video/sound components I have seen available).

My issue is the last time I tried to use my mid-2012 cMBP 13 I used a thunderbolt > HDMI adapter and attached it to the HDMI available for the smart classroom. The results were that my videos would not play on the projector and I would get no sound. I had to quickly convert the presentation to powerpoint and use office instead. This time around I would like to get this to work instead.

I was thinking about using a remote service from the desktop in the classroom, like logmein...Would this also pull the audio? I don't want the audio to play from my laptop sitting on my desk...

I would like to add I also have an iPad Mini with retina display and an iPhone 5 if there is a solution to using one those devices instead.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Update: I think part of my issue was that the speaker system is separate from the projector, which is why I wasn't getting sound on videos.

I think I may have to use a VGA adapter and use the audio pigtail.

TonyYYZ

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2014
Toronto, Canada
There would likely be too much latency when using LogMeIn and your video/audio might not play fluidly. But it looks like you overcame your original issue anyway.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
I am going to test it tomorrow if the classrooms are open. If not, Monday at some point.

I think the HDMI was getting confused because there was no speaker on the projector (or it is not turned up). So I guess I will see if the VGA adapter solves the issue.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
OK. It seems to work...I had to really mess with it though to get it working. I had to check a box that said "mirror the display" to get it to detect the projector. Sound worked fine. I am wondering if this was the issue the entire time with the HDMI connector (not checking "mirror display").

I did read somewhere about holding down "option" when in the display preferences and then hitting the "find displays" option. I will have to see if that yields better results.