President asking DOJ & FBI to go after political opponents

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Someone has too much time on their hands and watches way too much Fox News. My guess is Trump will use this as a reason to get rid of Sessions and the new AG will fire Mueller.

[​IMG]

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He must know Mueller is dropping new indictments today. That's the scuttlebut on Twitter, at least.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You can't fool all people all the time....

5. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

If Trump truly believed there was no collusion, he would welcome an aggressive probe into Russian interference in the election. Instead, he continues to deflect and as of yet has not genuinely acknowledged the fact of interference nor leveled any criticism against Putin.

By the way, legal experts have indicated that the case against the NYC attacker will be harder to prosecute because of Trump's tweets on the subject.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump may not have colluded. But I'm sure that his hands are dirty and that's the real fear. That something will be discovered as part of this investigation.

That - and it's possible that everyone around him will be indicted and his Presidency will come to a (further) screeching halt.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Trump won less than 10% of the vote in Manhattan.I hardly think his tweets will taint the jury pool.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Very weak argument. Unless a POTUS stays completely silent (which would be unreasonable) the risk is always there, either way.

9. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

It's one thing to not be completely silent, quite another to say what kind of penalty the accused should get. Nixon did something similar with Charles Manson but very quickly backtracked realizing what a mistake he had made in commenting on the case.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    I guess the people there knew him too well. :)

10. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

You must admit his incessant tweeting hurts, does not help.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Indeed, being president is hard. You have to walk a fine line between making public statements about major criminal attacks yet keeping them formal and neutral enough not to unduly influence the prosecution. Trump doesn't know how to do that.

The terrorist is owed the right to a fair trial under the constitution. I want him to get the fairest trial possible, I want the best team of the best defense counsel arguing every possible defense, they should leave no stone unturned, no argument not attempted. I want this so that his conviction is air tight, so there is nothing legitimate to review on appeal.

Trump's tweets may be doing the opposite.

12. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

Especially considering the perpetrator was ready (and eager) to die to meet his maker, I don’t see how death penalty can be seen as a punishement.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

It hurts my head for sure !

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Is the FBI and Justice Dept. not looking into this?

15. 0007776 Suspended

The death penalty is a reward for people who want to be martyrs. If we can’t ban it for all offenses we at least should ban it for terror related ones as it provides an incentive to commit acts of terrorism in the US since you have a chance of being martyred even if you are captured.

On the subject of the thread, Trump seems to want to turn us into a third world dictatorship.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10 months in and he still has no clue about his job. He wants to be a dictator.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They should have kept his account deleted.

19. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

No he is not. The perp has been designated as an enemy combatant, and whatever fate he gets, it won't be in the regular criminal judicial system. My guess is that he will be sent down to Gitmo for a nice long stay, without a lawyer and without any trial.

During the campaign, Trump said he was going to load up Gitmo with bad dudes, and this guy clearly fits the bill. Of course, if you feel otherwise, you can always go work for the ACLU and try to help him out. Who knows, it might be more interesting than typical associate work like document discovery or writing memos for partners, eh? :rolleyes:

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

He's made more comments about Hillary Clinton and the DNC in the last 24 hours than he has election meddling in the last year.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Well - deflection. And likely concerned that Mueller will be sending off some indictments today. Not that he is. But you know - Trump usually fired people on Friday. He might think it's a thing.

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

No thanks. I don't want to live in a country where a simple designation without due process can make someone exempt from constitutional rights. Anyone that supports otherwise is supporting tyranny.

What you wrote is literally what they do in countries like North Korea.

23. Gjwilly, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

But President Obama’s going on national television and defending Hillary Clinton’s email server while she was still under an active investigation was perfectly fine, right?

24. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

The DOJ and FBI should go after wherever the chips fall, whether that be Team Trump or his opposition. I assume both parties are awash with illegal actions, and frankly I hope all guilty parties go down.

Trump drained the swamp, but then he filled it right back up again. I'd like to see the FBI drain the swamp and pave it over.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sure, but if you're a prosecutor, you now have to deal with motions and at least a day hearing on why the President of the United States has not tainted the jury pool. And, a defense lawyer can spin up a couple of motions and at least an appeal because the President can't keep quiet.

Can you source the claim that Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov was designated "an enemy combatant?" While there have been calls for such, he was read his Miranda rights, and is currently facing charges in New York.

Moreover, your later point illustrates the problem with Guantanamo Bay. While the Bush administration claimed that the base was needed because the normal courts couldn't handle their prosecution, what Guantanamo Bay created was a mishmash military tribunal that has prosecuted only a few men.

The right thing to do is prosecute these men under the law, which New York City has become especially good at.