President Bush's legacy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Watabou, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I wanted to talk a bit about Bush.

I noticed, as did a whole lot of people, when Bush was called for the Obama swearing in ceremony, he was booed.

Am I the only one who felt sorry for him and actually wshed that people did not boo him?

I don't think the booing crowd understands the extent of the President's office and I was just a little bit grateful that Bush at least served the country.

Now, I am a huge Obama fan and think Bush could have been a whole lot better as a President. But I do think that he deserves respect and dignity for the humility he showed to the Obama family and to his wife.

And, besides, not all of the things Bush did was wrong. I was amazed at how he handed the 9/11 situation and how he really gave his best speech that following night that soothed the country. I think people forgot that for the most part. Even though his bad policies far outweigh his good ones, I still think he did not deserve to be jeered in this way.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I agree 100%. I feel sorry for him, he did his best, and even though I don't agree with some of his decisions, he wasn't a terrible president. Definitely not bad enough to be booed.

3. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

+1 to both of your comments. It's amazing how many people at my high school have a hatred for Bush. It's funny that because their parents tell them to, they just do. They don't pay attention to any of the stuff that happened when they were 9 or 10 (9/11).

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I always have felt pretty bad for the guy. I haven't agreed with most of his decisions, but it never feels good to see someone so ridiculed and hated.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

He's ****ed up this country beyond belief.

We're now over ten trillion dollars in debt after he entered office with a budget surplus.

He got us in to a 6+ year war based entirely on false allegations and evidence.

He **** on the constitution and removed rights of the people with the Patriot act.

I could go on and on...

The bottom line is... he's the worst president in modern history. I don't feel bad for him at all. He should be in jail.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You forgot about the murder of thousands and thousands of people, and the displacement of others.

It still feels pretty rotten to see him treated so poorly. I'd much rather him stand trial and be convicted (along with many of the others holding office in DC)

7. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

Yes. He single-handedly got us into both of those situations. It's not like Democratic bigwigs Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton voted yes on both of them or anything.

And, of course, Bush was lying to the whole nation about the war. He didn't get faulty information himself. He knew the true info and manipulated it for everyone else.

Yup, it was all him. Bad Bush!

[/sarc]

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I admit, I did feel a little bit bad for him. But, in the end, we lie in the beds we make for ourselves and Bush made a pretty ugly bed.

I was actually sort of surprised that Obama's speech was so obviously anti-Bush, but I liked his digs about science and greed.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I felt absolutely no sorrow or sympathy and he deserved every boo and "na na na na, hey hey, good bye!" he got. He deserves much worse, like a prison cell at The Hague. He has completely screwed up this country and is easily one of the worst presidents we've ever had in recent times. If the worst punishment he gets is a few boos, then he got off easy.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

He was a lazy, incompetent, arrogant and divisive President. The world is a messier place, the US is on the verge of ruin, and hundreds of thousands have lost their lives because of his bad judgement, wrong decisions, simplistic analysis and piss-poor leadership. Good riddance!

11. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah I acknowledge that. I am simply saying that it was not the right time. Trust me when I say, I am glad Bush is finally gone but Tuesday was a day where peaceful transition occured and it was one of the most civil and professional moments in American history and people booing was the most uncivilized acts on Tuesday and it was completely inappropriate.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

13. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah I corrected that before I saw your post. :p

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You'll have to be quicker than that around here :p!

p.s. I also can kind of see where you're coming from. As nice as it is to see Bush go, no booing would have been a great gesture to the possibility of a bipartisan future.

However I can definitely see why people are angry. Myself included. Hopefully the damage to America and the world is able to be repaired and that Obama is the one to set the wheels in motion. We'll see.

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

If all that happens is that he has to dodge a thrown shoe and withstand a round of cathartic boos, then Bush II has got off very, very lightly indeed.

How can somebody say that this stain on world history "did his best" when he let a city drown?

Anti-intellectual, stubborn to a fault, born-again, divisive wanker! Good riddance to Bush, Cheney and the rest of them.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It will be interesting to see how President Bush is viewed in 20 and 50 years from now.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

President who? :confused:

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Although the stakes were high enough to not make things funny, I nevertheless give GWB a note of sympathy.

I don't think he was a bad man, or set out to hurt anyone. I just believe he was a guy put into a position beyond his capacity and was subject to forces larger than himself.

As horrible as I view his Presidency, I have to give him credit - it could of been much worse.

I wish him well as a private citizen.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It's traditional to refer to past president's such as President Clinton, President Carter, etc. by the term President and their name. Sometimes you will see former President and the name.

But yes, I get your point.

Just for you, I will say former President Bush. :)

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My point was not so much the honorific title as the contents of history's trashcan, where I believe former President Bush will be residing.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bush's administrtion was horrible, they made it the status quo to lie,twist the truth and spin and were sold that they only had to represent the republican party and no one else. He said you are either with him or against him, he spied on Americans, he tortured, he held many with no due process, he got us into a war with no facts, he did find the WMDs his dad gave Saddam, he was president when 911 happen, he never got Bin Laden, Katrina, Pharmacy and drugs, Wall street deregulation, Trillions in debt passed to the next two generations. What other atrocities did he perform that will come to light later? Destroyed our reputation across this planet, helped to ignite new arms races, North Korea dealings that went backwards, Wanted Dubai to run our ports in the U.S., Sold fear, He has his legacy all right.

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Bush was a visionary who shunned the short-term myopic policy of the politicians of his era. Instead, using his exceptional diplomatic gifts and insight into world issues, his terms in office were characterised by the formulation of long-term policies that reached far beyond American borders. Although his foresight resulted in the sacrifice of his own political career and destroyed the reputation and credibility of the Republican party for decades, half a century saw the maturation of his policies and the emergence of world peace through realisation of the American utopia.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's uncanny!

24. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Like Al Gore or John Kerry would have done any better. :rolleyes:

He wasn't the worst president the US has ever elected, nor was he anywhere near the best, but the booing added an unpleasant dimension to what was otherwise a very nice, elated celebration for a president with real political and social promise (though I'm dubious as to what any politician can do to solve the economic crisis).

25. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

They would had to have been spectacularly awful to have done any worse.