President Carson?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Oct 29, 2015.

1. 63dot, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

With Carson considerably ahead of Trump heading into Iowa, Clinton way ahead overall after debate over Sanders, then one has to wonder where Carson stands against Clinton.

Clinton beats every GOP candidate except Carson:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep.../general_election_carson_vs_clinton-5119.html

Could we elect a total outsider to the White House? He has no specifics and is perceived to be weak on the economy which is always the biggest issue of any election. I can see an argument for Carson over Trump or Fiorina, the other outsiders, but over the many remaining professional republican politicians?

I think Carson's born-again rhetoric, outside of statistical outlier Mike Huckabee, is likely to score big in the bible belt south and midwest and can grant him the GOP nomination. Trump's supporters jumping off the boat also seem most likely to go to Carson rather than Bush or Rubio. For the first time religion can actually be the deciding factor in the GOP race, or at least in religious states similar to Iowa.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/28/opinions/parini-candidates-religion-iowa/

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

If you don't elect him, you are racist. I think that's what we were told with Obama at least.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a crock of ****.

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

How so? We're still told to this very day that the right doesn't like Obama because of his skin color.

Thank you for contributing to the topic though.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

There is a long time until the Republican nomination becomes settled. Even longer till the election itself.

So far, Carson has yet to prove himself in any of the kind of intensive media scrutiny and grueling campaign schedule events that are part and parcel of a Presidential campaign. He took a week or so off recently to go sell his book.

While his personality comes across as calm and non combative - his positions are frankly deeply out of step with the vast majority of the American public. Quite frankly, a lot of them are downright looney. He has so far been able to skip away from or ignore the sort of tough questions he serious front runner is likely to face. He flat-out lied about his relationship with nutritional supplements company Mannatech in the debate - a lie he got away with due to the nature of the event.

I think also there may be a racial element to some of the early polls putting Carson ahead of Secretary Clinton. I think its more than possible that he may be picking up some support among the African-American community due to his race - support that will likely drain away once those voters get to know a little more about his positions.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The fact that they are outsiders may well be why they are so popular. Just look at the abysmal approval ratings for congress right now. Now combine that with the strong distrust of government that has been bred into the far right and you have a rather toxic situation for any existing politican.

Get back to me when people start questioning Carson's citizenship.

7. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I hope you are right.

Carson has some of the most extreme right wing, out of step views among the candidates. I don't think most republicans can hang with him long term if he decides to go with those.

But Carson isn't dumb and he will remake his image into that of a more moderate republican if he gets the nomination. He will disavow the really fringe stuff and probably get away with it. While it looked like Clinton could have easily won the White House six months ago, it looks like it could be a very close race if one of the top republicans now gets the nomination.

If somebody like Cruz, Paul, or Jindal got it then Clinton would wipe them out in a landslide but Carson's non-combative attitude stands out and looks "sane" compared to the lunatic rantings of some of the others. Carson may have wrote some crazy stuff but he never yells it.

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

See Ted Cruz. Why do you hate hispanics?

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you heard that, then you were listening very well.

I don't think anybody believed Republicans were obligated to vote for Obama in order to prove they weren't racist. People were expected to vote along political lines ... just as they should be today.

So I find your point quite confused/confusing. Hopefully, you just thought you were being funny.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So you agree that Cruz should be ineligible for the position of POTUS? If so, why isn't Trump going Birther on him?

BL.

11. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

No. Just like I didn't think Obama should be either.

12. APlotdevice, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Ted Cruz was born in Canada. There's no disputing that. The question is whether he has birthright citizenship through his mother. Personally I'm okay with saying he does. Though birthers should logically disagree, since Obama's mother was also a US citizen, which would have put him in the exact same situation as Cruz had he not actually been born in Hawaii.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet Obama was proven to have been born in the USA. Cruz has proven himself that he isn't, and natural born citizenship, while having to do with bloodline, also has to do with location. And since Canada is not the United States, he should be out. So back to your lot as to why he's in this race and no-one in your lot's candidates wants to bring that up; especially Trump, who is showing some major hypocrisy in not doing so.

BL.

14. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

If it comes down to Trump and Cruz, Trump will be all birther.

Trump didn't seem to attack Carson, but once Carson got the #1 spot for Iowa then Trump decided to attack Carson's denomination. Trump will attack anybody if he/she stands in his way. It worked for Trump in the polls so far but I think America is starting to tire of his ego and extreme insecurity.

Any other candidate or realistic person would be thrilled to be #2 in this large field, but for Trump it's as if the sky is falling down. I wonder how Trump feels about not being the richest person in America? I wonder how he feels about not even being in the same category as fellow billionaire, fellow New Yorker Michael Bloomberg? There are lots of billionaires in the US, but only 12 or so viable republican candidates and he's really upset he can't be the top among that small group of what he considers inferior people. Trump doesn't see anybody has having built an empire like him and it kills him to see a soft spoken retired doctor (largely unknown before this year) beating him.

15. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Trump will drop out and endorse Cruz. You heard it here first, folks.

16. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I think another argument the paranoid birthers can make, and do, is that while born in "Hawaii" he was actually born there before it became a state. Some suggest the graphics on his birth certificate is not consistent with a 1961 Hawaiian birth certificate document, but more with documents issued in the late-1950s which means he was born there when it was a territory like Guam or the US Virgin Islands.

This all falls apart if we are to look at John McCain who wasn't born in a proper state but a US territory. Then what if a future candidate was born at the US Embassy in Cuba or Iran or Russia? What constitutes a person eligible to run for president? According to the Supreme Court a natural born citizen can run, but the court has not yet defined that. It's agreed that it can likely mean a foreign born child of US parents, or maybe even just something that barely makes the child a US citizen. Maybe the child was born in another nation but parents were also born elsewhere, too but got US citizenship. The definition and eligibility is unclear, even to this day.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I have not verified it but it looks like one of his superpac's is labeled a lgbt hate group. after seeing how he has talked about gay people I don't doubt it. there is also a video of him shilling for some natural medicine company that claims they cure cancer. I know the company has had to pay fines for the false claims.

18. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Cruz is too far back to matter and even Trump's endorsement won't work. Those who hate outsiders may still hate Cruz. Cruz is an insider who resonates most with outsiders, but if there's an outsider still standing they will go that way as they have with Fiorina, Trump, and Carson.

Cruz has his best chance if those three true outsiders are out of the race. If an outsider has only insiders to choose from, then Cruz or Rand Paul are the most logical choices. Kasich, Bush, Gilmore, Graham, Pataki, Christy, Rubio, Santorum, Perry, Huckabee, and Jindal are on the inside too much.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It falls further apart when you look at maps of the United States in the 1950s. The following were among the US Territories prior to 1959: Alaska, Hawai'i, Guam, Puerto Rico, Panama Canal Zone, and the Phillipines.

Taking those into account, I await with wonder if Nicole Kidman would run for POTUS.

BL.

20. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Now I can vote for her! :)

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

I mean, you got the second mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy ... I mean, that's a storybook, man!

22. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Liberals/progressives against ANYTHING that Carson likes are racists.
    Liberals/progressives against ANYTHING that Fiorina likes are sexists.
    Liberals/progressives against ANYTHING that Cruz/Rubio like are anti-immigrant.

The GOP field is very diverse. You have some career politicians, but you also have actual business people and even a brain surgeon. The potential Democratic candidates are ALL old, white bureaucrats who love nothing more than to grow the behemoth.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah. All two of them.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't know why you'd even post something like that, unless you're trying to convince us why we shouldn't take you seriously.

25. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

I think it more like if you criticize him THEN you are racist.