President Obama appears on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Controversy ensues...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Is it possible that no one has mentioned this already? I searched a few times and didn't find an existing thread.

The moment I heard this last night I thought for sure someone would have posted about it. I know they wouldn't have wasted a second had it been our previous Commander-in-Chief :rolleyes:

LINK

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

What the hell is he doing on late night TV?

You would think he would have more important things to do durring the day than stop by for a few hours and hang out with Leno.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Unfortunate slip of the tongue from a man who is usually so composed.

Becomes GOP talking point in 3,2,1.....

There is a reason this hasnt been talked about much, there are VASTLY more important things going on right now.

5. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Please - when has that ever stopped anyone from talking about anything pointless?

(Maybe in the days directly after 9/11, but I have no other recollection of a time when people didn't hotly debate entirely trivial things.)

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Difference is- Bush wouldn't have apologized, let alone admit he made a mistake.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh yea, he didnt get ANY work done at all while in town. Not a town hall meeting or any presidential work in sight....

You realize other presidents got the same criticism for appearing on RADIO?

Also, what about bush appearing on Deal or No Deal.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He was in LA for a townhall (yes, god forbid he talks to the people :rolleyes:) and spent all of 25 minutes on Leno where he got to talk to a much larger audience. 20 minutes of the interview with him was serious questions about the economy, the bailouts and the AIG bonus mess, and 5 minutes of joking around. Leno has one of the biggest audiences in late night TV and it's a great way to reach millions of people.

9. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Or realized he made one. ;)

Personally, I'm not really offended by Obama's comment - he's only human, and who among us hasn't said something stupid without thinking in the past?

Like I said, I'm just surprised no one had brought it up...

10. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

This site really needs a facepalm emoticon.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What was facepalm worthy in that post?

12. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm with you. Not offended, did noticed that he said it but understood the context it was said and also understood that he knew the moment he said it that it was not a good thing. You can tell in the tone of his voice as soon as it slipped out. One of those the mouth wasn't fallowing what the brain was thinking.

I was just excited that he was on the show. Was extremely irritated at NBC for not seeing what an opportunity it was to have him on and seemed to run even more advertising than usual (could be my prospective) I would have said "look, we have the President of the United States on, screw the commercials and let's take this opportunity".

I thought he did a great job talking about the economy, a couple of very political answers (which is to be expected) but overall an exciting time. And then there was Garth, can't beat the President followed by Garth. :D:D:D:D

13. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

The fact that he completey missed the point.

My point was that there should be many more pressing issues to work on, than doing interviews and town halls. It seems to me that he is running his administration like his electoral campaign.

He is the President of the United States, not a celebrity promoting a new movie.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well it's a hell of a lot better than Bush, who never made himself available to the public.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What the hell is wrong with having a townhall and allowing the people who elected you to ask questions, especially in a time like this with so much uncertainty. And I learned more about his plans with the stimulus and the bailout situation from watching the townhall and the Leno interview than I do from watching any talking heads on TV. What's wrong with being informed?

The guy works all day on the pressing issues, I think he can take a couple hours out of his day to talk to the people.

16. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

So according to you, the President should be locked away in the Oval office working the same things everyday. He is also a figure head of this country, someone who is and should very much in the public eye. I think that this was an opportunity for the country to see the very human side of a President. Leno did a great job asking him about the the topics of the day and Obama did a great job in trying to bring calm and understanding. I don't get this narrow minded view of what the President should and should not do. I am with others, at least he didn't show up on a ridiculous game show. The Tonight Show is a very long running very popular show and respectable show..

17. Shivetya macrumors 65816

While the comment was stupid it only proves exactly why he should not have lowered the office and appeared on a COMEDY show.

Guess he saw Leno's teleprompter and thought it was for him :p

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

[​IMG]

Right, but that's not lowering the office, is it? :rolleyes:

19. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Uh, the flight to LA was focused solely on boosting public opinion.

It's not his job to parade around the country boosting his public image, because at this point it doesn't matter. Asside from a major political screw up worthy of an impeachment, he is going to be in office for the next three years and 10 months.

And I would understand if this was the only such occurance, but it's not. So far he has spent more time giving TV interviews, speeches, and on the radio than other president in recient history in such a brief period of time.

I am all for transparency in governement, but going on TV to explain to the public where he was for the last five minutes after passing a crap, is just stupid.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, give it a rest. Like I said, I'll take this any day over Bush.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I dont get why you care so much, its obvious hes getting a CRAPLOAD of work done as well as still maintaining a connection to the public.

22. JLatte macrumors 6502

Do you have sources on any of that? Even though I didn't vote for the guy, I actually really like how he's been handling things in office so far. So he's President, do you want him to just sit there and not tell anyone what our government is doing, what's on the table, what they're discussing about our crapped out economy?

I'd much rather have him telling the public what's going on, then have us trying to second-guess what's really happening behind closed doors.

23. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Are you serious. What political screwup are you referring to? A crap economy that was exacerbated by your hero Bush? Give it a rest, I'm proud of the guy to use 21st century tools to his advantage. Kudos, that he is not sitting in the White House as you would have him do, away from the public eye.

Don't even know how to respond to the statement in bold other than to say you obviously did not watch the Tonight Show and if you did you have such a narrow minded view of Obama and such a jaded heart that you did not allow yourself to hear what he was saying. This is ridiculous, we had a guy that for 8 years ran this country into the ground and this is what you choose to get all butt hurt about.

And hate to inform you of this, he is the President of the United States, part of his job is to re-assure the people of this country that everything will be ok and to lead. I realize you got used to and complacent by the last guy...

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Nah, at least it SHOULDN'T become a GOP talking point. Countless people in high places - not just politicians - have made similar and much worse bad choices in "phraseology."

On the one hand, what he said isn't really all that horrible, or at least it could have been a whole lot worse. It's really more a function of who he is than what he said. On the other hand, things like this become issues because many people "out there" tend to be thin-skinned and let things like this bother them.

I'm not an Obama fan, but I'm convinced that there wasn't anything at all hateful in what he was saying or how he said it. Move along, nothing to see here.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes but since when does the GOP think logically when putting out smears?