President Obama: Nowruz Message

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by és:, Mar 20, 2009.

1. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

The message can be seen here

I thought this was a powerful statement. A bold move by the president. One that shows America to be committed to peace and progress. He is showing that power of the tongue and of the mind can far outweigh the power of guns and bombs.

What do you think? Both of the action and of the message itself.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

My respect for Obama just keeps growing and growing.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I wonder how long until the right wing says that this is proof that he's a Kenyan-born Muslim :rolleyes:

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's just refreshing to see. This is how the leader of the free would is supposed to act. The world knows America is a huge power, it doesn't need to throw its weight around with threats, it can afford to act like a grown up.

A hand has been offered, if Iran choose to ignore it there can be no mistake that this is the path they have opted to take, and so the consequences will be squarely on their own heads.

They want nuclear power, there's a lot of people offering to help. If that's truly all they're after, there shouldn't be any problem in accepting these offers.

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I fully support Iran having nuclear power. I don't support them (or anyone else, really) having nuclear weapons. Ideally, the number of countries with nuclear weapons would be 0.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks! Yes- that is the way to do it! Maybe the rest of the world might respect us again if he keeps this up.

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Refreshing doesn't nearly do it justice.

During the long days of George W. Bush's stumblingly puerile rhetoric I never thought I'd see a US president as eloquent and clear as Obama.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This message should be titled, "Portrait of a President as an adult with a vocabulary. " :)

11. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Judging by Irans conditional response, I doubt this will go far.
    But yes, This is the correct way to go about things.

Having Iran vote out Ahmadinejad will be a fantastic development. He is the Iranian version of Bush.

12. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Lets see, so far they have set forward conditions that cannot be met.

1. Was to stop calling them out for state sponsored terrorism, namely Hamas who they bank roll.

2. Drop claims against Iran pursuing nuclear weapons

3. Bring our forces around the world to inside our own borders

4. Do not support Israel

We could probably do the last, seek to reduce sanctions but those are in place because Iran keeps thumbing its nose at the UN's attempt to limit Iran's nuclear ambitions.

These people made a fool out of Carter and no President since has made any progress with them because they keep moving the line. I think Obama is going to find his overtures useless simply because he can never satisfy all their demands and they will require all of them to be met.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Obama won't do any of those things, so what's your point?

14. Shivetya macrumors 65816

You don't know which he will do or won't, so what is your point? He may cave on one or more only to find out it isn't enough and he has weakened his position by doing so. The key is they set some rules so lets see how he responds.

I simply listed the conditions being bandied about by Iran and how it will be impossible to meet them. That is my point. Overtures are fine, expecting it to change anything borders on silliness.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Tell me why you think Obama will grant any of those requests. I don't think he will. I haven't seen anything to indicate he would.

16. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

1, 2 and 3 seem respectable, Hamas are not Iranians, and while they are supported by the Iranians, you cannot say that the Iranians themselves are a terrorist state or that they commit terrorism, especially when, with regards to Hamas, the "terrorist" definition is used rather loosely (the people who they're fighting and who are supported by the US are equally hateful and violent). There is also no evidence to suggest Iran is pursuing nukes, though there is a good chance they are, you cannot punish people based on how good a chance you think there is at them wanting to obtain something you yourself have and give to people you unconditionally support but who are equally dangerous.

The 3rd one begs the question, why so many foreign bases?

the 4th one is baseless, because you cannot tell another country who to support and not to support, so perhaps its more of a suggestion than a demand. However supporting Israel and condemning Iran just shows the hypocrisy involved in the politics, and this infuriates alot of middle eastern countries. The double standards with regards to Israel must disappear before any country in that region begins to take US calls seriously, and only when they begin to take the US seriously will there be any progress towards anything.

17. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I agree.
    I believe Obama is at least offering up a civilized new beginnig.

I dont think even he believes it will change much except for less saber rattling.
    But at least he put it out there.

If Iran chooses to go nutty well then I assume all bets are off.

Its now up to Iran to keep things civilized...

18. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Iran is willing to change, it has to, Iran's on the verge of starving because most of its food supply comes from International Aid, however it depends how China reacts to what Obama has said, as China seems to be pretty much dominating Middle Eastern politics at the moment.