President Obama Poised to Sign Executive Order on Immigration

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Seeing as how this has been in the news for several days, I'm surprised that it hasn't made it to thread.

President Obama has said that he will take Executive Action within the next few weeks, prior to the end of the year on immigration. This could allow as many as 5 million of those that illegally entered our country to not only remain here but also work here.

While illegals working in the USA isn't new, them having work permits changes things. Right now, most illegals work "under the table" jobs. With a work permit, they can compete with Americans and legal immigrants for higher wage, better positions. Employers cannot discriminate against them in the hiring process as National Origin is a protected class.

As I'm sure comes as no surprise to many of you, I'm not for giving people who violated the law to come into this country a free pass. I'm that heartless individual that feels that we should do like Georgia has done, where those that employ illegals face prosecution, so that the illegals will leave on their own when they can't find work.

Do you support President Obama choosing to not enforce current immigration laws? Do you support legalizing as many as 5 million illegal aliens?

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

While I really think that we shouldn't just allow our borders to be as open as they are, do you really believe that they are working "under the table" jobs? When was the last time you went to a fast food restaurant or some type of retail job? Many of them have acquired false papers so that they can pay both income tax as well as social security and work regular jobs that many Americans simply won't do. Sadly there is no easy solution to this mess and it is only getting worse.

What is your solution to this? I hear a lot of people upset about the way it is going and being very vocal about it, but I have heard no ideas to really counter it from said people. Remember, some of the "illegals" have been here for several generations of family, living right beside you for so long that if you get rid of them, you will rip these families apart.

Again, I don't see an easy solution and we as a nation really never had a solid set of rules or a good path to go by to gain legal status. With my ex, I spent many months trying to get paperwork sorted and finally had to rely on a lawyer to get it all done right. It cost me a small fortune and a lot of lost wages. The INS constantly lost what had been filed and is a wreck when it comes to trying to get things done "the right way". It needs to be fixed and the longer we wait, the harder it will be.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Well, an EO wouldn't be necessary if Boehner would just let the damn immigration bill on the floor for a vote. He won't because he knows it will pass.

This debate has been going on for close to a decade. It's time for someone to act.

Loving the impeachment talk over this. I'm convinced the Republicans would have tried to impeach Lincoln for issuing our nation's most famous EO, the Emancipation Proclamation.

4. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Make it easier for the right people to become legal to live here and make it harder for the wrong ones to subsist in the US illegally. Pipe dreams, I know.

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

Who are the "right" people?

6. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

The ones who aren't already criminals. The ones who simply want a better life and opportunities. Of course there are always exceptions and the legal system isn't perfect...

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Is boehener the one blocking the bill? Has the bill at all been presented?

----------

The ones who apply & go through the process legally instead of committing a few crimes.

8. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

My solution? Do what Georgia did a couple years ago. If you get caught employing someone who does not clear e-Verify, the employer is subject to both criminal and civil penalties. When they can't get jobs, they'll leave on their own.

You are right, many are working with false papers but they aren't competing for jobs at manufacturing plants because those places have HR departments and use e-Verify as the law requires. After President Obama issues them work permits, they will clear e-Verify.

The Republicans were in favor of emancipation, it was the democrats who opposed it. Check your history and you will see that none of the democrats voted in favor of the 14th amendment. Not a single one in the House and not a single one in the Senate. They all voted against it.

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

Fair enough, it just sounded weird to me when I read it and just figured I would ask. ;)

Have you tried to navigate the "process"? I have and it is not only almost impossible, but basically doesn't work worth a crap. I filed the same form 4 times (at $75 a pop) before I got fed up and hired a lawyer to handle all of it. Lots of wasted money and time with people that really don't give a crap about you.

That is part of the problem and why many don't even try and also why we have the problem we have now.

10. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Yeah, they make it so hard that some really amazing people end up having to break the law just to better their lives. Make it easier and more affordable to those who could be a force of greatness to our country. Treat the ones who just come here to commit crimes like the danger they are.

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

Check history? Weren't the parties reversed back then?

Do you really think Democrats would be pro-slavery and Republicans against it? Come on, now.

12. daflake, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

daflake macrumors 6502a

I would be for that, however, the problem is that many Americans won't work for the wages that they are willing to work for. The government can barely afford to operate as it is right now, who is going to enforce this? Do we raise taxes to be able to afford to go after these people?

Your idea is interesting, but how would you fund it and keep it running?

BTW, e-verify is a joke as well and with proper documents, you can still get past it. I have seen it happen.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes. THe bill was passed by the Senate ages ago. The Republicans aren't interested in solving problems, they're interested in keeping wedge issues alive.

Oh please. You know exactly what I meant but can't resist playing your sill little games.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Legal immigrants possessing high-tech skills that will benefit the United States. We can start narrowing it down from there.

15. daflake macrumors 6502a

Why high-tech? What about others that are willing to work fields for minimum wage so that their family might have a chance at a better life?

Listen, I am not trying to be a jerk, but a lot of the comments are very limited in sight as to what this country needs. IMHO, anyone who is willing to follow a (better defined) legal process of entering the United States with the intent to be a solid citizen is welcome. We should try to keep criminals at bay, but then again, the majority of illegals I have met are the ones that still stop on the side of the road to help you when you break down while the rest of Americans pass you by thinking you are just a thug trying to lure them in or are too busy to even notice, not ones toting guns and robbing me. It is easy to armchair a solution without any thought to longevity and funding of it, but there is a lot more to it than putting up a wall and saying stay out. Add to that, we are now competing in a global economy and that isn't going to go away, only get worse, so putting walls up will only make it harder for us to compete.

Like I said, I don't like our system. However, I haven't heard a solid solution from either side that is worth a crap.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Gave amnesty to 5 million now it's 12-20 million. Amnesty does not work

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

And what's the benefit of not giving Amnesty?

18. Huntn, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Did you support past instances when Republican Presidents offered amnesty to illegal immigrants?

Rachel Maddow predicts that Republicans will loose their minds if President Obama takes executive action on immigration. Looking forward to it. What annoys me most is this "the American people have spoken" nonsense when the country is clearly split down the middle. Both parties will have to get real and the Republicans won't be able to impeach Obama just cause they feel like it. It will have to be grounded in presidence.

Nonsense part two is this "don't poison the well" sentiment, lol. The GOP poisoned the well from the start and have the nerve to actually say this? They are frick'n idiots.

http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Ronald_Reagan_Immigration.htm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/01/21/bush-amnesty-plan-threatens-us-economy/

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/obama-bush-immigration-enforcement

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That is so cool.

I'm glad to see Obama initiating policy that I can get behind.

These moments have been so rare.

20. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Perhaps sending the message that breaking the law will not be rewarded as it has been in the past

----------

That leaves almost no one. They got here illegally so they are criminals. Many who work do so by using Someone else's identity. I had power /water/phone under my name in different cities that I never lived in .

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Doing the exact opposite not only cost Pete Wilson his job, but the entire Republican Party the Hispanic vote.

BL.

23. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Are you only in favor of EO when you agree with the issue being ordered?

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Pandering to criminals will cost you in the long run. 12-20 million more LEGALLY looking for work will do wonders for the currently unemployed

25. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'm talking about not just breaking the immigrant laws... Like murderers, drug smugglers, etc...