President Obama: "Repealing DOMA... natural next steps legislatively"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sky Blue, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...looking-at-whole-range-of-options.php?ref=fpa

Don't see this happening until Democrats get back near ~60 in the Senate which won't be for a long time, but good to see the President support it.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think the Republicans will turn the government into a complete circus in the next two years. I would not count on them keeping their numbers in the Senate if they do. If they start playing their same old games, which I suspect they will, they'll be swept right back out the door.

3. dscuber9000, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010

dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Woo! I have a feeling they've been holding back on this specifically for the future (Republican heavy) political climate. People really are becoming more and more gay-friendly, so Democrats can totally win on this issue. It'll be interesting to see how Republicans react to this, specifically the ones helped by the [Tea Partiers] since I would imagine they are pro-gay marriage since that would be the no-government position.

4. leekohler, Dec 22, 2010

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The TEA Party? Are you joking?

http://www.sanantonioteaparty.us/102065/don’t-ask-don’t-tell-won’t-serve/

The TEA Party only talks liberty when it's something they agree with.

5. Rt&Dzine, Dec 22, 2010

Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

As Lee said, the Tea Party isn't no-government and a large contingent is the Religious Right. Remember their "leader" is Palin. They ran O'Donnell, etc.

On the other hand, the Libertarians shouldn't be against gay marriage but their numbers are relatively few.

6. dscuber9000, Dec 22, 2010

dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Well, the [Tea Partiers] that are ACTUALLY small-government and not just Republicans should be all for gay marriage.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Repeal DOMA? Good ****ing luck. Never happen in this political climate.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Obama is using this in a fashion every President has in the last 50 years. Notice this AND numerous other goals are going to take 3, 4, 5 years? The reason for this is because of reelection. When the people that voted the current President in is unhappy as a whole, many of these people will vote for someone else. By stating that 'we'll take care of' or 'we'll work on' the issues that people are PO'd about in a long-term time frame, these people who are PO'd are more likely to vote for the current President a second time, as they are under the (sometimes false) assumption that the issues they want to see addressed will in the next term.

9. coolmacguy macrumors regular

LOL, Obama has always supported gay marriage. He even said so in 1996.

What he really meant to say (but couldn't) is that his view cannot "evolve" back into support for gay marriage until he is reelected.

And yes, he's just like other president's in that regard. He says what he needs to to get elected.

That said, repealing DADT was a great first step, and I hope he can advance the cause for gay rights further before he leaves office.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He is right though, when he says nothing will happen for the next few years. There's no way the Republicans in the House will let anything happen. They're going to be too busy "investigating" the White House. Trust me. This will be worse than when Clinton was President. You're going to hear such crazy things that you'll think you're in an alternate universe.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

How many major issues are truly able to be resolved in 2 years? Some people are angry with the current administration and Congress because the economy is still in the toilet -but, realistically, can we really expect every major issue (like the economy) to be dealt with in two years? Two years is nothing. Especially when most major issues are the result of decades or even centuries of economic or social policies in one measure or another.

Maybe he's saying it's a long term issue because it really is a long-term issue with long-term solutions. In this case I certainly believe him.

People simply need to be more patient and better informed.

12. coolmacguy macrumors regular

Yeah I agree with that. There will not be any more legislation on gay issues during his first term. At this point he is limited to what he can do administratively.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We'll be lucky if there's any legislating done at all. It's gonna be gridlock and White House investigations for the next two years.

That's why we were so on him to get DADT repealed, and it barely happened.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

A true small-government individual would get behind repealing such a thing. I wonder how Rand Paul would vote.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, just wanting to do it accomplishes nothing. You have to make your platform clear, then start appllying pressure, and you'll proably fail a few times before you succeed. So even if Obama is working hard for it, and has a good strategy, it will take time.

I expect issues like this will continue to demonstrate that few small-government people are socially liberal or even moderate. Libertarianism, in practice, supports conservative moral legislation.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A significant number of the worlds most successful economies (on YOY growth) have 5 year plans.

Now sure many of them are communist, but still, 5 year plans do seem to work fairly well.