President Obama signs 23 executive actions aimed at curbing gun violence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SilentPanda, Jan 16, 2013.

1. SilentPanda, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/16/obama-to-announce-gun-control-proposals-shortly/?hpt=hp_c1

Link to actual plan - More information on each bullet point so you can avoid some assumptions

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Seems like reasonable actions.

I really like the thought of using technology to make gun safety better. I remember about 2-3 yrs. ago i went looking for biometric trigger locks and they really did not exist.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

NRA: "We told you Obama was coming for your guns!!!"

Rational Gun owner: "He didn't actually say that."

NRA: "NOW DO YOU BELIEVE US?!?!"

5. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I think so too. Hopefully people on this site can debate the merits of the actual bullet points stating reasons they think a certain action is not reasonable instead of devolving into the same routine that keeps getting repeated in the other gun control threads.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

This looks like a great first step in reducing gun violence.

8. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I agree with all of this. The proposed AWB is still utter nonsense.

9. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Do you have a source that says the NRA doesn't like these? All I see is the following statement which doesn't expressly say they dislike the actions. You could maybe infer it in the last paragraph but it could be taken either way.

I don't see an assault weapons ban in the actions listed.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I may have mistaken this for the Obama executive orders.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ve-of-white-house-gun-announcement/?hpt=hp_t1

11. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Read the full plan that's linked on whitehouse.gov.

12. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Ah that video. A preemptive distaste for the unknown is silly. I'd prefer they put out a list of complaints after the release that can be looked through instead of "Tomorrow stuff's gonna go down and it's gonna be bad."

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

there are two parts:
    the 23 points will be activated immediately by executive orders, while a more comprehensive plan (the one linked above), that also includes the reinstatement of some level of assault-style ban (hopefully with a bit more teeth to eliminate the easy workarounds) will be recommendations to congress (basically what Biden has been working on)

14. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I see now. Good catch!

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The NRA held their press conference after Sandy Hook and blamed schools with unarmed people, mental health and violent video games. Obama's executive orders address the first two. They should be ecstatic.

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The NRA is definitely going to be against #9 and #10. For years they have fought against the idea of law enforcement keeping track of firearms.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What ever happened to the right wing's motto of if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide ?

Hypocrites indeed.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They're also not going to like studies being funded for research on gun violence. They have been quashing that for years.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If the guns were recovered lawfully in a criminal investigation, then the NRA is screwed. This would mean that warrants were obtained, or proper search with just cause was performed. Otherwise, 4th Amendment could apply.

But then again, they should have spent their money and time into actually doing some of the things Obama just signed, as it is in their power to do so, rather than feed on the ignorance of some people in the country and spreading FUD.

BL.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well the NRA has manage to block thinks like tracking stolen guns and guns used in crimes back to the gun shops that sold them. Researching stuff like that.
    You know basic logic. Gun shops that have a very high number of guns being traced back to them that were used in crimes should be massive red flags for that gun shop and reason to have permits yanked.

Basic logic but the NRA is fighting something as simple as finding the bad apples.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Makes sense when you realize they represent gun manufacturers and not gun owners. With estimates of 600k-1 million guns stolen each year, with no effective method of tracking them, it creates an awful lot of new demand every year.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There are a lot of things I don't agree with Obama on but I am in full agreement with him here.

23. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I am in the same camp. Not one of the 23 points strikes me as anything but reasonable and prudent.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree.

25. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

So, first off....I am surprised (and relieved). At the least I was expecting import bans on ammunition and gun parts, these could have easily been accomplished by XO. Worst case I was expecting him to just say screw the constitution and ban stuff outright.

Many of these I don't have too much of an issue with, but a few have me concerned.

1 "Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system."

What exactly is "relevant data"...someone who posts in a gun forum" Someone who has speeding tickets? rather vague..

4. "Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks."

Again, vague. Is this people with PTSD, someone who is on prozac, xanax, or just has a case of the Mondays every week ?

5. "Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun."

Just gives police more leeway to not return firearms to law abiding citizens.

16. "Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes."

Drs. really have no business asking these questions...

Everything else I think I am ok with.

That said, these 23 items listed are just "snippets" I think. XO's generally have more text to them, and I would be interested into seeing what they really say.