President Obama: State of the Union address

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Tonight, at 9pm EST (2am GMT), President Obama addresses Congress and the nation. What to possibly expect:

As well as cable and broadcast news channels, you can stream it on:

White House Live or on the White House iPhone app. (iTunes link), Ustream, CNN and C-Span.

Your thoughts?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't expect much. He'll lay out his re-election agenda and contrast himself with the *******e we've been getting from Romney, Gingrich and Santorum. Press reports say income inequality will be the major focus. Poor Romney is fighting a 2 front war.

Frankly, I think Herman Cain's response on behalf of the Tea Party will have the most entertainment value. :D

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The President could lay out a plan universally accepted as exactly what we need to solve a problem, and the GOP would block it on principal.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ain't that the truth.....

5. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

And why shouldn't they? If they agreed with and supported Obama's policies, then voters would have no reason to vote for them.

Most of the time, I think Obama is kind of a weenus. But every now and then, I suspect that Obama is a few chess moves ahead of the GOP.

6. obeygiant, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Will you stay up to watch it?

Here is Jack Cafferty's take on it.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Oh, I remember how this speech ends. Everybody turns into John Simm and Timothy Dalton turns up to shout a lot and spray spittle on everyone.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh, I don't know, because they are elected to work for us, not to run for office. Maybe the reason people are supposed to go into public service is to serve the public.

The jobs bill and the healthcare reform fights are perfect examples. We need jobs and the jobs bill was full of bipartisan proposals, and everyone agreed healthcare needed some kind of fix, but the GOP was prepared to block everything.

Sticking something you know the other side opposes onto every other bill is called a "poison pill" for a reason. It's one thing to try to use the legislative process to get special stuff in for your constituents, but that implies that you are going to vote for it. The GOP has been adding crap, and then not voting for it in an effort to get the Democrats to either vote for or against something that will be hard to explain in an election. It's nothing but politics.

10. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Well, I'll be up late working anyway. Might stream it, not sure. The Republican debates usually contain a lot more entertainment value, although last night's debate in Florida was a bit dull after the first 30mins or so which I switched off. If I don't catch it as it starts at 2am over here, I'll find some clips, read reax on TPM, Sullivan and Kos.

The most interesting thing about it will be the positioning for the 2012 campaign unless seeing what Michelle Obama is wearing floats your boat... and whether the president unloads on the Supreme Court justices again.

There's always the SOTU drinking game. ;)

As for Obama being a 'weenus', I'm guessing in Brit-speak that's not entirely a good thing.

11. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Michelle Obama's guest list includes:

Full list, for those interested.

12. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

If I recall right, some members of the GOP skipped the last State of the Union address. It looks like some will do it again, beginning with Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.)

Link

No wonder nothing gets done around here...

Dale

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They're like petulant children.

14. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

When you factor in the fact that these people have stupid amounts of influence on how a global superpower operates, then it becomes truly disheartening.

I honestly don't blame Obama for losing the charisma that people saw in him during his campaign. After all, who has the will to stand against such a tidal wave of ********? :confused:

15. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Why it matters, according to Jonathan Bernstein:

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Absenteeism in congress is pretty unforgivable in my opinion. If they use the excuse that speeches or other events are nothing but rhetoric, they are displaying astounding and offensive levels of hypocrisy. They all ought to stew in each others' rhetoric.

The more congress claims they can't stand each other, the more I am inclined to lock them in the Capitol building until they either do something positive or eat each other.

17. malman89 macrumors 68000

I'll watch. I'll try and look through the rhetoric for actual policies or plans. I hope someone in the crowd doesn't act like a total buffoon again. I'll also keep (fatefully) hoping that people from both sides will actually be open minded as well.

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

If yg17's perception is correct, they will continue to grab and shout "mine! mine!", effectively shooting themselves in the foot. I suspect many of the voters are all to aware what sort of genitalia these Rs have become, if they themselves fail to come to grips with their intransigence, their gig will be up. Which, of course, means there will be a last ditch lame-duck push in late November to really bollix things up.

19. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah there are definitely better things to do than tune in to another politician talking out of their ass about things they won't fix.

20. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Is my assumption, that you are imply that they are Twats correct?

KGB:D

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You lie!

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I'm not going to waste my time.

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You realize that in American english, that is a very offensive word? Or at least it has been in the past, perhaps you commonwealers are diluting it for us. And really, I think you owe those people an apology for making the comparison with Republicans.

24. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

It is indeed most fortunate then that I am not of the American persuasion then. So am I to conclude that the "R"s (spelt arse) are a collection of 'dickheads" then? Those of us that use the Queen's English, the use of twat, would refer to female genitalia, or a person who is regarded as stupid or obnoxious. Do the Americans have a differing connotation? Perhaps you could tell us what you were alluding to in your post.

KGB:rolleyes:

25. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

"It's getting more expensive to do business in China."

No sir, its not. How bout it make it that way and place tariff's on imports and give tax breaks to large companies who keep jobs here. Tax breaks scare people, but when used correctly, they CAN be beneficial.

Edit: Stole my thunder. Anyway, in a global economy, it's not really fair to set a base tax, because if all countries did this "base tax", it would kill the economy.

Also, the stuff he is saying is **** that should have been done 3 years ago.