President Obama uses recess appointment - Richard Cordray to lead CFPB

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Jan 4, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Good to see the President finally confronting the GOP and their use of sham pro forma meetnigs to prevent the President from using his Constitutional powers.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Outraged GOP leaders? What a joke.

Would it surprise you to know that Bush's legal team determined that the Senate cannot use sham pro-forma sessions to prevent the president from exercising a constitutional power.

Unprecedented? Maybe the Republicans should start having confirmation hearings for the hundreds of unfilled positions.

They are playing this like some school yard kid who takes his ball home. The agency was created by legislation and now it's their job to staff it, not try and stop it's operation by refusing to confirm or deny a leader.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Are they adamantly opposed to Richard Cordray for some reason? Or are they just opposed to the idea of a functional CFPB?

4. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

They tried everything to block passage of the CFPB. It regulates Wall St., financial institutions, credit card companies, etc... In other words, the people who pull the strings don't like the CFPB. Richard Cordray is supported by both sides.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I understand where you're coming from, but consider that, as part of the long game that Obama had to demonstrate first that he could work across the aisle and was flexible when necessary, especially given the national freak-out over the first black president, especially when a large minority of the country considers you an enemy of the state.

All part of positioning yourself as the reasonable man, the grown-up in the room, to the voting public when the hammer eventually has to come down.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Ironic, really. As president, he kind of is the state – which, I guess, helps explain the current right-wing attitude that government is a bad thing.

8. MorphingDragon, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

All meaningless. America will vote for whoever has the nicest lipstick on and promises the most free candy.

I second this. I will pay any amount of Taxes to keep consumer protection in Government.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think you're being overly cynical, for if that were the case, Sarah Palin would have been an electoral asset. Besides, the calibre of American (and British) politicians at the highest level and political journalism is far beyond that of anything New Zealand politics and the media has to offer, I'm afraid to say.

And that's speaking as an ex-pat Kiwi, Mr Dragon from Hamilton. ;)

10. MorphingDragon, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

So what was Obama doing then?

Private Sector squabbles in NZ are far more entertaining than anything I've experienced in the UK or US.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The GOP can't just sit on it forever and expect that to work indefinitely. On a side note the concept of bailouts did not start with the Obama administration.

12. dime21 macrumors 6502

Too true! On that subject, here's a great joke:

Guy goes into a bar in Berwick , LA. where there's a robot bartender.

The robot says, "What will you have?"

The guy says, "Whiskey."

The robot brings back his drink and says to the man, "What's your IQ?"

The guy says," 168."

The robot then proceeds to talk about physics, space exploration and medical technology.

The guy leaves, but he is curious...So he goes back into the bar.

The robot bartender says, "What will you have?"

The guy says, "Whiskey."

Again, the robot brings the man his drink and says, "What's your IQ?"

The guy says, "100."

The robot then starts to talk about Nascar, Budweiser, the Saints and LSU Tigers.

The guy leaves, but finds it very interesting, so he thinks he will try it one more time.

He goes back into the bar.

The robot says, "What will you have?"

The guy says, "Whiskey," and the robot brings him his whiskey.

The robot then says, "What's your IQ?"

The guy says, "Uh, about 50."

The robot leans in real close and says, "So, you people still happy with Barrack Obama?

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Can't understand why the Repubs are complaining. C-Span clearly showed the guy running the Senate hit the gavel and say "The senate is adjourned until Jan. 6th. "

At that point there was no Senate. They were gone. Obama had every legal right to make that appointment.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The Republicans have some difficulty accepting that the Senate can recess without consent of the House.

15. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Myself and everyone else are so not outraged about this. A Republican fight to challenge this appointment is political quicksand.

16. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Why when the democrats block over 100 appointments it's ok, but if the republicans do it it's shameful.

You guys are the biggest hypocrites on the freaking planet.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Can you please provide some information about this so I and others know what you're talking about? :)

18. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I'm totally fine with this, I think the president should appoint his people. And the constitution does NOT say a vote is required. Obama was outraged when Bush did this, people need to keep that in mind when they're pointing fingers. If you support this like I do, great. But if you are calling the GOP obstructionists, you're a moron who can't even keep history from 5 years ago in your head.

19. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

It is absolutely mind boggling to me that the bulk of the members on this forum have such short term memories in matters political. When the Republicans held the White House, the Democrats played the same games with appointments. The only difference was that no recent Republican president had the balls to make an appointment during a Senate "sham" non-recess.

Why can't you folks admit that the political system in its current state is badly flawed, and is sorely abused by both parties. Both. Both. Both...

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

THe GOP has simply become a party of No while hoping and waiting for another republican president. Its no way to run the country nor represent its people. A president has to do something and lets face it this is the most worthless Congress we have ever had. Both sides just suck and are far more interested in their own power and control then this country. The Politicians are lower then whale crap.
    Its why our forefathers worked so hard on the Constitution because they knew mans nature is power and control over others. Makes me just want to puke.
    DemoCraps vs RepubliCants.

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hang on a second. For many here who may be in their 20s or younger, what took place five or more years ago is ancient history. Secondly, for those of us who might not be American but have followed US politics closely for a limited period, we might not be fully up to speed either.

Regardless, going to war with PRSI regulars, calling everyone or 'you folks' hypocrites never works out well. I've seen it happen here too many times. Better to address specific posts or individuals and provide some factual replies with links if poss. so that those of us who are interested in facts can learn something. That counts for both sides, as far I'm personally concerned.

22. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Sorry, but I'm too old, too tired and too lazy to do the research for those who are too young or too removed to know the history of these matters. Perhaps it would be a better approach for those who post their outrageous mis-informed conclusions to do a little research themselves before demonstrating their woeful ignorance.

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's not the way it works. If someone here makes a claim without evidence, then people are entitled to ask for that evidence. If you won't provide it, telling people to look for it instead, then people will quite rightly conclude that you're not debating in good faith, especially if you're going to insult everyone at the same time.

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

To understand the Republicans' concerns and why they were blocking Cordray, read CFPB: The Omnipotent Government Agency on their site. They seem to be concerned that the director will have too much power with no checks on it, a five member panel with congressional oversight would be the better, safer way to go.

A cynic might say they are just worried he might be effective.