President Obama Visits Cuba

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Mar 20, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

President Obama is scheduled to visit Cuba, starting later today. This will mark the first visit to Cuba by a sitting US President since Calvin Coolidge in 1928. It also marks a milestone in the thawing of relations between the US and Cuba that has taken place under the Obama Administration.

At this stage, it seems hard to rationalize much of the antagonism towards reopening diplomatic and commercial relations with Cuba. The economic and political embargo placed on Cuba by the US in the early 1960s has been singularly unsuccessful in bringing down the Castro regime. The US now enjoys full relations with Russia and Vietnam.

There are still serious points of difference between the Cuban and US Governments. The US strongly condemns the Cuban Government's record on free speech and political opposition. The issue of compensation for American property seized during the Cuban Revolution still needs to be addressed.

But as the era of the Castro's inevitably comes to an end; it strikes me as the height of foolishness to ignore Cuba and its millions of people - the vast majority of whom look upon the people of the United States as their friends.

The opportunities presented by a gradual normalization of relations with Cuba seem overwhelming: the chances for international tourism; trade; cultural and sports exchanges. Several million Americans are of Cuban heritage and have relatives in Cuba. And millions more Cubans would welcome the opportunity to improve their economic circumstances - something that can only be enhanced by improved US commercial relations.

As President Obama enters his last few months in office, I hope more of us can look upon his opening the door to Cuba as one (among many) courageous; humane; and politically far-sighted policies this President has implemented.

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

The best way to change them is to corrupt them with western culture

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The time has come to lift the embargo and normalize relations with Cuba. One cannot however ignore their human rights violations as we normalize trade and relationships. They still have much to do to repair the damage done by Fidel.

4. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

I wonder what exactly Obama is trying to accomplish. His message to date has been a mix of "hopeful", "we need to.." and "clueless".

Trade relations and westernize? Trump them :eek:;)

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah because freezing them out worked so well...

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I just want to see if Cuban cigars are worth all the hype that's surrounded them all these years.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

8. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

so oboma is playing friends with the castros?

f....ing idiot

9. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I like the cubans creativeness when it came to keeping those cars running, but yes I agree they need newer cars.

I like Obama's decision to open up ties to Cuba and that is coming from a person who didn't vote for him twice. I don't that think Obama will go down as the worst President, but he won't be one the better Presidents either.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

They're decent but no better than a good Dominican stogie.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Cuba's 90 miles away. We should be friends again some day. We're who put up the walls, so to speak (and for good enough reasons, yes) so we're who should start taking them down. The long official diplomatic silence was plenty long enough to ensure that our message of disapproval over the manner of Fidel's ascension, and subsequent behavior, got there and was understood.

Besides, with Putin acting out lately, what better time to make sure the Cuba of today knows who's her future best friend forever. President Obama is not an idiot, he's the President and he sees this as a good time to start repairing relationships with a neighbor. That's the kind of thing we elect presidents to do.

12. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Don't like Obama much but this is a good thing for the Cubanese people and for Americans too.
    I do find it fascinating that the Cubans that escaped and came to the US are against this.

13. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

sorry liz, those guys bring nothing but misery. IMO, whatever US president that is sitting in the chair should not open relations with them but they should also break relations with whatever other governments that are currently funding them like venezuela or brazil.

that **** needs to end. like right now.

14. Robisan macrumors 6502

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Breaking relations with countries like Brazil would be utter madness.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

17. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Bonus: Chris Cuomo

18. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

It's hypocritical of the USA to have relations with communist China and communist Vietnam. Cuba is no different from either with human rights or their political system.

19. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Who trump?

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Do you think the US shouldn't have diplomatic relations with China and Vietnam?

21. LizKat, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Why leave Latin America to China, and Cuba to Russia, when we're their closer neighbors? Our Monroe Doctrine was not the way to go but we're capable of developing another way to behave with neighbors. Geographically they are our natural allies. Besides, the food and music are really good and the people are great. Governments come and go. Geography is until the Big One.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you think China and Russia disagree, wake up. China already owns a quarter of our porkers and the land that goes with them. They have assorted agricultural and construction deals in Latin America as well, mostly in exchange for natural resources. They should remember the USA has interests in Latin America too. How's that going to happen if we sit in Washington wringing our hands over whether the governments in the Southern Hemisphere are right wing enough to do biz with. Sounds like 50s, 60s, 70s. So over!

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

23. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

yeah, yeah... madness, but still the right thing to be done. which is hard, of course.

in the end it is our own fault that our government support those pieces of ****. national shame. america should not make the same mistake.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's been a long, long time since Cuba was an enemy of ours.