President Trump Eyes a New Real-Estate Purchase: Greenland

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 15, 2019.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I cannot view the link... I guess I will ask the obvious. Is this even possible?

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Swell, sure it is possible.

Take a look at the Guardian link if you are blocked out of the WSJ site.

Big picture: It's a non-starter. The US President could offer many times over the market price, enough to persuade Denmark (the territory's administrator) enough to cede rights. But then there is the tricky question of getting Congress to agree to fund it. I don't see that happening.

What would be the status of a US-dependent Greenland be? If it is similar to that of say, Puerto Rico - recently devastated by a hurricane Trump seems unwilling to provide sufficient disaster-relief funds for. Then I think Greenlanders would be better off saying: Thanks, but no thanks.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

We are over 20 trillion in debt. Do they take IOU’s?

5. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Typical Trump pot stirring. This one in advance of his planned trip to Denmark in September (and of course what he relishes, a state dinner courtesy of Queen Margrethe II). He probably first heard of Denmark when he heard that China's Xi was trying to bid for airport construction jobs in Greenland.

Trump always figures he can walk away from his dealmaking brainfarts because that's what he did as a private citizen if the other side wasn't into it or he didn't like where any actual negotiations were headed. However, he's POTUS now and should not be playing these games. The "other sides" of his pot stirrings on the world stage are sovereign heads of state, not CEOs .

We have military assets in Greenland... they're ours but they are in Greenland which is run by, yeah, PM Mette Frederiksen, the woman who runs Denmark since it does still control the island's foreign affairs. So Trump's riff on buying the place has managed to raise hackles in Greenland and back in Copenhagen as well, with echoes in Brussels and Washington...

In a statement headlined “Greenland Isn’t for Sale,” Christian Juhl, a member of the Red-Green Alliance that’s part of Denmark’s government bloc, had a counter-proposal: “Trump can instead offer to pay rent for the Thule base, which until now has been made available to the U.S. for free.”

Frederiksen, who became prime minister after her Social Democratic party won the June election, will make a first official visit to Greenland next week for talks with the island’s premier, Kim Kielsen. While Greenland is self-administered, defense and foreign affairs remain under Danish governance. The island has its own representation in Washington and Brussels.

Trump will probably tweet some off the cuff evidence-free comeback to Juhl about how much Denmark owes the US for the very existence of the Thule air base yada yada yada. He'd have been disappointed if somebody in the Danish government hadn't risen to his bait. Now he'll be happy and can spend the rest of the summer tweeting about something else before he goes off to be feted in Copenhagen.

6. LordVic macrumors 603

if the US were to buy greenland, it would raise the serious question of who would own Hans Island.

Canada and Denmark have been at war for the longest time over this island (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Island)

7. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Sure!
    Crazy but I kinda like the idea :D
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2019 ---
    We could “gift it” to Canada :)

8. LordVic macrumors 603

[​IMG]

9. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

immediately after reading the title my sleep deprived brain had the saying from grade school pop in my head
    "greenland is covered in ice, iceland is very nice"

its like trump don't do it!!
    did grade school social studies teach you nothing... you'll have buyer's remorse
    you're buying the wrong one. :D:p

10. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

But but but it’s melting! :eek:

11. LordVic macrumors 603

You're asking this of Trump :p

I think the question has an obvious answer ;)

12. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

ah, he's playing the long game with the global warming then;) :p

to bad those predictions have always been overblown

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

14. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

don't underestimate the naivety of my pre-coffee sleep deprivation.

if it wasn't for Apple's spellcheck and grammerly all of this would look like im still in grade school right now (not that its perfect or im much better otherwise lol)

15. LordVic macrumors 603

ya may joke, but the Ice Cap on Greenland is one of the largest in the world, and if it did melt would result in a sea level rise of about 2.4meters. that would be catastrophic to the entire world.

This thread has been lighthearted enough, lets not drag seriousness into it :p
    https://www.businessinsider.com/greenland-ice-melting-is-2070-worst-case-2019-8

16. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

no matter how many bottle's of Schnapps they leave us, we all know that its Canadian.

Personally I think there in love with our whiskey so they keep doing it cause who doesn't love some Canadian Club every now and then.
    (I do enjoy the annual puff piece on the news, you know it's slow news day when they play that)

17. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

If the US were to buy Greenland, the Trump administration's ongoing refusal to consider climate change a matter of science would become vastly more embarrassing even within the time frame of this administration's remaining term in office. That right there should be a dealbreaker if Trump actually thinks about it.

18. LordVic macrumors 603

I used to drink Canadian Club until one night I finished a large bottle. Can't even look at the stuff anymore. Too bad if we were leaving bottles of Crown Royal, they might just have gifted us the island

19. Anarchy99, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019

Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

I joke for several reasons including but not limited to:

1) let's be real on a personal level I have zero effect on it.

2) when you take into consideration landmass and vegetation Canada is a carbon-sink when it comes to greenhouse gases ( if anything we should be collecting carbon credits from more polluting countries not paying our own carbon taxes)

3) I believe it was the IPPC estimates the climate change show that if we as humanity don't make any changes there would be a sealevel change of a few inches and about a 1 1/2º in temperature over the next 100 years.

4) the worst offenders are China and India, if we didn't demand so much from them when it comes to manufacturing than who knows maybe they could change but there's no indication that anything close that would happen.

I'm not a climate change denier, I realize it's happening, but I also realize that every estimate has been wrong so far on the conservative side not the catastrophic.
    additionally I just realize that I'm lucky enough that my country is helping just by existing according to the data and that there's nothing I could do to stop it regardless.

so why not joke about it
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2019 ---
    I had a similar experience with tequila.
    lol fair enough, but more crown royal for us (I prefer it anyway)

20. LordVic, Aug 16, 2019

LordVic macrumors 603

I take a different approach.

1) I have affect because i'm a consumer. I buy, I use, i throw away. Therefore, while my individual usage might be infantismal, it's still an affect. and even if that is 0.00000000000001% of the world, I still take ownership and responsibility for it and do my best to reduce that.

2) We're lucky because of the resources, but as the world warms, those natural resources may shift and not be as reliable as a carbon sink. we have to be very careful about our deforestation. We also have to recognize as the global temps are going up, those "green zones" will shift. current forests will become dryer and longer dry and hot seasons, which tends to result in more intense forest fires reducing how much green space we have, further reducing our efficiency of our carbon sink. I also need to point out that should Canadian green areas get affected, it's not like suddenly the north opens up as hospitable or forestable land. A very VERY large chunk of Canada is marked by the "Canadian Shield". Which is mostly rocky and unsuitable land for farming. if we lost our current farmable lands, we're screwed.

3) a few inches sea level change might seem small and minor. it might not even fundamentally alter any coastlines. But a sea level rise can and likely will affect ocean going currents and ocean temperatures. These directly affect the hospitibility of the worlds landmasses. Warmer waters also lead to greater and more powerful storms and more humidity overall in the atmosphere.

4) Just because China and India are the worst offenders doesn't mean we can't also do our part, and ask that the worst offenders do better. Canada, though overall a low offender, we per capita are one of the highest pollutants in the world. Granted, the biggest bulk of that comes out of Alberta's oil sands and the rest of the country has gotten better. But we still need to look at ways of reducing what we can, if only to help prevent further degradation of the Canadian wonders for our future generations.

I thinkt he problem I have is that your statements sond more like you're just throwing up your hands and coming up with excuses why it's not your problem. its all of our problems. Canada isn't going to get off easier when the rest of the world starts going to heck. We need to be ready and prepared for mass migrations from places in the world that start to become inhospitable.

But I think I get why you joke. It's the same reason why Robert Heinlein described Michael in "stranger in a strange land". Because it hurts and laughter is how we face our fear and pain.

21. benshive macrumors regular

I genuinely thought that this was from The Onion or another satirical site when the story popped up in my notifications. I did laugh pretty hard when I saw that it was real.

22. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Sure it is possible, if Greenland wanted to be absorbed, but Greenland tweeted we are open for business, not for sale.

23. edvj, Aug 16, 2019

edvj macrumors regular

24. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Just think though ... Trump could legitimately claim he physically grew the US over 20% bigger :D

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

12 years and it will be all gone like the polar ice caps :D