Presidential Question

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thebiggoose, Dec 20, 2007.

1. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

Can anyone tell me which president used his cabinet the least?

Thanks much Macrumorians.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not sure how you quantify that. Used as in "talked to"? Used as in "followed their advice"? And what about when advice from different cabinet members was conflicting?

Or used as in "used and abused"?

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Probably Bush. I heard he quit drinking before he took office.

4. thebiggoose thread starter macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

Used as in consulted/used their advice.

Which Bush?

5. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

That is actually a very interesting question. I sure wish you had not asked it. My peanut brain has been churning on the answer since I read your thread a couple hours ago.

Scholars would probably make a case for a president like Hayes, Harding, Jackson, Pierce, etc. Most non-historians would be pressed to have that depth of knowledge.

Now, I really hate people who take the 'sure thing', and are afraid to go 'out on the limb'. So, I am going with William Henry Harrison. I know, he is a longshot.

In recent times, I think the current administration would probably get my vote. I say this because of the way things are structured there. Cheney is really a second President. Dub relies on him like a SOD and SOS. When Rumsfeld was there, Cheney ran him. Rice is a total 'yes-man', even though she is not a he. The rest of the cabinet are sheep-dip.

7. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I would definitely have to agree that Harrison probably consulted his cabinet less than any other president in history.

8. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I'll agree to that, if only one of them had said "Wear a coat Mr. President"

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

lol:D Thats funny but not far from the truth, I cant think of another pres who listens to so few people.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just out of curiosity...why do you want to know?

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That's probably true in total possible time (he had what all of 39 days as Pres., and most of that was bed-ridden right?). However, in terms of consultations/days in office, I'd have to go with Jackson. Remember he abandoned his Senate-approved Cabinet and used his "Kitchen" one.

Or how about "don't give a 14 hour speech in the cold." :p