"Press and hold" now basically does everything 3D Touch does

Discussion in 'iOS 13' started by skillwill, Jun 3, 2019.

1. skillwill macrumors 6502

Peek and app quick actions are now available with "press and hold" haptic touch. I guess this further suggests 3D Touch will be phased out.

2. Vanilla35, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

I'm interested in this. Even when Force touch/3D touch came out I was annoyed they didn't just make it a long press (and of course several years later was pissed they didn't utilize it anywhere else). Long press is an intuitive interaction though, whereas 3D touch is not, and even "cumbersome" (I use this lightly), when you're holding a thin/light device one handed.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

does that work on apps also? I have the iPhone XR and miss long pressing the messages app to compose a message to whomever was my recent contact.

4. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Long press is worse than 3d Touch so this would be pretty unfortunate.

5. marf1million macrumors regular

How does that work if I want to copy a link in safari and not ‘pop’ it?

6. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

They would probably make one a 0.5 second long press vs 1-1.5 second long press or whatever the normal set amount is. I would the first as "brief" and the latter as "deliberate"

7. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Seems like they are replacing more and more of 3D Touch with Taptic Touch, but there are things that it can't quite do so far and/or perhaps would be somewhat cumbersome to do it with just a long press.

8. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

It can easily create confusion and raise complaints. Maybe they combine haptic feedback with it.

9. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Great. Hated 3D Touch. Totally pointless when you could do the same on an iPad!

10. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

Agreed.

11. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Except, it is very difficult to select text while editing. Tried online tutorial but very difficult to make it work.

12. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

Subjective. I use 3D touch quite frequently and find it useful.

13. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Why though when press and hold could do exactly the same? Never understood the need to force your finger into the screen.

14. zaneliu macrumors 6502

zaneliu

The new app 3D Touch interface replacement is weird. It's a press then let go for the quick actions. Otherwise it becomes a long hold app movement or delete. Feels very weird

15. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Well, not exactly the same.

16. Kram Sacul macrumors 6502

Kram Sacul

A long press is not an acceptable 3D Touch replacement. Lame.

17. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

I believe that's exactly what a recent article stated they would do. They're enhancing the vibration motor again, because of the removal of 3D touch.

18. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

I use 3D Touch for Notes app and drawing things out, or even for pdf markups. Guess I may not upgrade my iPhone XS this year if the next model drops 3D Touch.

19. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

But Apple is still replacing force touch with long press. Not all gestures have been replaced by corresponding long press actions yet. Haptic just add a feedback and nothing much.

20. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Yep, it's not fully baked yet. I have no idea if they're going to have a huge and widespread implementation of that - or just do what they did with the SE/XR which I believe is just changing obvious 3D touch interactions like long pressing on the timers from control center, or the calendar icon on home screen (create new event), etc. I think they should do the former.

21. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Yeah, I am not a fan of that. It seems as though they are purposely slowing down what were used to with 3D Touch to prepare for it's eventual demise for haptic touch or whatever it will be called. I liked how it was instant. If they want to keep it up (which I like), that's fine. Just keep it instant!

Slowing it down just cripples it.

22. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

This reminds me that iOS 11 allegedly crippled capacitive “home button” on iPhone 7 and 8 in favour of force touch. That one was a hoax, but I hope this one is not real.

23. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

I know that's what it seems like, but if you've ever used an android device (or waited on "copy" with an iPhone), you'll recognize that it's really not that slow. I wouldn't consider 3D touch to be "quicker" in many situations, especially when you factor in the animation that occurs for peek/pop and all of that. We're talking about very small differences. Again though, imo long press is way more brain dead and when you have other things going on.

24. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Well this is unfortunate. I use 3D Touch every single day. Long Press just won't cut it. No idea why they would remove such a unique feature.

25. Blue Hawk macrumors 6502

I hope they will bring it back for the 3D touch devices. I'm using it every day everywhere. Especially in safari. I don't like this Force Touch