Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
On apple's website, they talked about how intel machines can't set a firmware password. I would like to set one on my macbook.

I want to prevent someone other than me doing a clean install if my macbook gets stolen after I install anti-theft software.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The Open Firmware Password app in the Utilities folder of your install DVD will allow you to set up a password. Yes, it does work on Intels :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Just out of interest, is the app still called Open Firmware Password or has it been renamed to merely Firmware Password? I know it doesn't really matter but I'm anally retentive and I like to know things.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mad jew said:
I know it doesn't really matter but I'm anally retentive and I like to know things.

OK, I'll make you feel more comfortable and secure. It's still called Open Firmware Password. Booya! :D

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
FYI, it's pretty easy for a knowledgeable thief to disable the firmware password on PPC Macs. There has been some debate as to whether the method works on Intel Macs, but I have seen statements saying that it still works even though Open Firmware has been replaced by EFI.

That said, most thieves aren't so knowledgeable, so yes, it does provide a fair amount of protection. And since thieves very often fence their stolen goods without even turning them on, you have an even better chance of catching the clueless sap who ends up with the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.