Price change for 160gb 7200rpm hard drive for MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daisu, Jun 10, 2007.

1. daisu macrumors member

Hi

I am pretty sure the upgrade for the 160gb 7200rpm harddrive was 80$ but now it's showing the upgrade as 120$. Is this right? Was it always like this and I'm going crazy?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Which store are you buying from, educational, developer, etc..? I know there were some prices that were messed up the day they were released. $80 is too cheap. Retail is 150, developer 120, so 120 sounds right if you are talking about developer.

3. daisu thread starter macrumors member

Oh yes, Apologies. I've been poor with details recently. These darned long nights.

Anyway, yes, you're correct. It's the developer's website. I intend on using my ADC discount to purchase a MBP for video editing.

Dang, well, 120 doesn't seem worth the minor speed boost especially since I'll be using an external harddrive with the machine. Dang..

The silly thing is I would pay for the increase if it was only 80$ more. Do you (anyone) know which harddrives Apple uses for their 160gb 5400 drives?

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If you think you'd benefit from the speed increase, then $40 more shouldn't be a bunch more compared to what you're paying. Think of it this way, is 40 that much more to have the machine you really want (compared to the 80 you thought it was)?

5. daisu thread starter macrumors member

Well, it's 120$ more... Somewhere in my brain it's telling me that the speed bump isn't worth 120$ There's so much more I need to purchase, sleeve, external harddrive enclosure, maybe a mouse (and a tripod).

It's only going to be a systems disk. I read that the drive Apple is most likely using is a great drive. Very fast, and energy effecient but... 120$ :\

It's silly. There's only two options worth fiddling with on the MBP (for me) and one seems automatic (high resolution) while the other requires so much forethought. Hmph.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I meant $40 more when you were expecting to be paying $80.

7. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

daisu...a faster HDD will allow your comp to last longer as a primary comp...

a processor can only read as fast as the info comes off the disk remember