PRICE DROP ON G4s?

Gena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
24
0
New York, NY
does anyone think prices on current g4s will drop after this weeks MWNY? or is the fact that it hasn't happened by now mean it's safe to assume they are not going to.

:confused:
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
with the current rebates, its probably not going to happen. Come August there might be a new pricing scheme as well. But the important thing is that the new machines should be more than just a processor speed bump.

Look at the XServe - memory and ram difference - add a new enclosure and possibly Firewire2 - it will be a much better machine.

What exactly do you plan on doing with it?

D
 

Gena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
24
0
New York, NY
what i plan on doing with the g4

mostly i will be editing my documentary on it, which is why i want a dual, and i've done a lot of editing on a 1ghz and i was really happy with that machine, so i want my own.

i can't really wait til mid august to buy it, so just so i know what size bullet i'm biting here, how much lower than $2999 do you think that price might get to by mid aug?
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
I think you'd just be seeing a much better machine for about the same price- speed wise - that and the data rate on the bus - which is great for video, would be a reason to wait. But if your under a deadline, you'll have no choice, sorry.

And remember, this is just speculation, the new machines might be debuted in August and not shipped till sept or oct. So bear that in mind. And if you're going to use FCP or something simillar, buy your memory someplace else, it will be much cheaper.

D
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
I'm guessing that IF updated PowerMacs go to 1GHz, 1.2 and dual 1.4GHz, you may see the dual 1.0GHz go down to $2299 or $2499 after the new models come out. It's a guess, but it probably won't go below $2000.

Here are my guesses: Use at your own risk.

After August:
800MHz model: $1194
933MHz model: $1594
dual 1000MHz: $2294

1000MHz model: $1794
1200MHz model: $2494
dual 1400MHz: $3494
 

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
2,122
12
Lancashire
surely a single 1.4Ghz could be quicker than the current dual 1 Ghz for some things if it's got DDR aswell ?

Photoshop only seems to benefit by about 30-40% overall for having the second CPU, Apple's final cut pro benchmarks certainly show that a dual 1 Ghz G4 is no where near 4 times as fast as a 500Mhz G4.

I say, wait for faster mac's to come out, see which one runs what you want to use the fastest, if it's a dead tie between a new model you can afford and a close out deal on a Dual 1 Ghz from the current range, risk buying the new one for the future. If the dual 1Ghz totally blows away the new model you could buy for the same price (assuming it's a single cpu model) go for the current dual 1 Ghz model.

That's what I'd do if I was in the market for a new mac right now.
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
>surely a single 1.4Ghz could be quicker than the current dual 1 Ghz for some things if it's got DDR aswell ?
Applications that take advantage of the dual processor will take advantage of the dual 1GHz model, and applications designed for one processor will go faster on 1.4GHz, DDR-RAM or not. And don't call me Surly. :D
 

Gena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
24
0
New York, NY
single v. dual for fcp

good points -- this is really helpful.

final cut pro3 is an app that takes advantage of the dual in OS-X, no?
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Originally posted by King Cobra
And don't call me Surly. :D
Call him Queen Cobra or Queenie. :D

Also, you won't see the price drops from Apple, they will be from the resellers that are attempting to clear stock in order to make room for new systems.
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Gena
is that true?

why wouldnt apple drop prices when they come out with new machines?
Mainly because they just make the new systems available at the same price as the old ones. When new towers come out, you get the new ones from Apple (which is why they update the online store during the expo.). The previous models are available from the resellers, but it usually takes them a little time before they offer them for any less.
 

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
1,281
0
Originally posted by AlphaTech


Mainly because they just make the new systems available at the same price as the old ones. When new towers come out, you get the new ones from Apple (which is why they update the online store during the expo.). The previous models are available from the resellers, but it usually takes them a little time before they offer them for any less.
I know from an Australian Distributor perspective, new machines come out and straight away Apple gives price protection on the machines you have in stock. These machines are then sold cheaper while Apple sells the new machines.


Why not buy an 833MHz now for your deadline and when the new machines come, out, buy a mid-range and sell the 833?

Sure, you will have a middie instead of a high-end but it will be faster than the 1GHz (note: speculation) and you still meet your deadline. Saying this, it is only just over 3 week until the new machines are released (note: all rumour based and speculation).

Your call!
 

applefan2002

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2002
4
0
One thing that they will have pricedrops to clear the inventory. The new Xserves won't be out till San Fransisco Macworld 2003.
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Originally posted by applefan2002
One thing that they will have pricedrops to clear the inventory. The new Xserves won't be out till San Fransisco Macworld 2003.
Again, Apple will not be reducing their prices. Other resellers will. Get it? Got it? Good... :rolleyes: :eek: :p :D :cool:
 

applefan2002

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2002
4
0
One thing that they will have pricedrops to clear the inventory. The new Xserves won't be out till San Fransisco Macworld 2003.
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
For ALL newbies... double posting is severely frowned upon here. DO NOT DO IT! If you need to change one of your posts, or add a word, or smile, use the EDIT BUTTON!!!!

newbies... sheeeesh :rolleyes:
 

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
1,281
0
Originally posted by AlphaTech


Again, Apple will not be reducing their prices. Other resellers will. Get it? Got it? Good... :rolleyes: :eek: :p :D :cool:
To add to this, Apple NEVER has excess inventory, they flog off huge amounts of stock to distributors and large direct-to-Apple purchasers (I am not up with these in the US but CompUSA would be one) when they are releasing new product.
 

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
422
175
G5

One of my friend said the Xserver motherboard designed for G5 chip later...I have no clue about it. Can anyone confirm this?
 

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
582
0
Los Angeles
Gena- yes, FCP very much benefits from a Dual system, with regards to Real Time effects....and honestly, a Dual system with 2 1ghz chips will get the job done pretty good (I don't see the dual 1.4ghz chips adding that many more Real Time effects than there already are).

Also....give Apple a call, because they have some kind of policy discount where, if you buy something a month before the new model comes out, you get money back or something? Anyhoo, you may want to check that out.

Whats your doc about? I'm currently editing a feature about Islamic Arranged Marriage......its taking me forever to edit though (I'm a director first, editor fifth).
 

Darth_Vader

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2002
2
0
Like Gena, I'm debating whether to buy now or wait until August. However, I do NOT want one of the new machines coming out. I want either the 800 or 933MHz model that are out now, along w/ the 17" LCD. (I'll probably purchase them through MacMall or MacZone).

Should I buy now, and take advantage of the rebates?

-or-

Should I wait for the new machines to come out in Aug., and pick up one of the "older" models (800 or 933) since prices will likely be slashed?

Bottom line is - I'm not in a rush to buy and can wait a month, but I want to pay as little as possible for the 800 or 933. So should I wait or do it now? Which route would be cheapest?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

:confused:
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
You are assuming that there will be new towers in August. Don't count on it.

If you are tight on funds, then wait until you have enough. If you have the money now, get the 933MHz tower. The extra speed and L3 cache IS worth the extra money.
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
3,338
0
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by AlphaTech


Again, Apple will not be reducing their prices. Other resellers will. Get it? Got it? Good... :rolleyes: :eek: :p :D :cool:
actually apple DOES sell the old models at reduced prices from the apple store. go to the apple store scroll to the very bottom and look in the lower left hand corner (yes they hide it well). it is the "special deals; great prices on limited offers button." this is where apple sells old and refurbished items. also old powermac models often move to the edu only page. if you need a deal on a powermac just visit the special deals page everyday and wait for a non refurb to show up (i wouldnt reccommend buying a refurb). for awhile they had ibooks for really cheap (not refurbs like now). just previous model ibooks for about 750$.
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Hey AL, that method is hit or miss at best... IF you want to get something when you want it, you need to go to one of the resellers that is clearing the previous models to make room for the new ones.

I just looked at the 'special' page and all that they have is one iBook and a 15" LCD, both are refurbs.