Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

price drop on macbooks and mbp

mmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
After the updated macbooks come out soon, will the old macbooks drop in price like the macbook pros did? I really could care less if i have cd or c2d if it means im getting a good deal.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
After the updated macbooks come out soon, will the old macbooks drop in price like the macbook pros did? I really could care less if i have cd or c2d if it means im getting a good deal.
They might (there's a good chance, actually), but you'd have to call apple directly after the upgrade to find out pricing.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes, all the standard configuration will be available in the Special Deals section while the supply lasts.

But, the bigger drives, more memory, Merom, etc. may be a better deal if you wait for a refurb of the newer machines also.

mmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
sorry i didnt want to start another thread about when they are going to be released. I was just curious because i was going to buy a used powerbook or ibook from ebay for about 800 but i would rather have a brand new macbook if it will be around that price.

I also was wondering why are the powerbooks and ibooks still so expensive, when i went on ebay i was expecting to see ibooks for about 450 and powerbooks for like 700. I kept seeing used 15" powerbooks for like 1200 or more. Why wouldnt people just spend the extra 250 and get a refurb macbook pro.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Macs have always held their value very well. And there are a good number of people out there who are still actively resisting the change to Intel machines until the rest of the apps go universal...the demand is propping the prices up.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
sorry i didnt want to start another thread about when they are going to be released. I was just curious because i was going to buy a used powerbook or ibook from ebay for about 800 but i would rather have a brand new macbook if it will be around that price.

I also was wondering why are the powerbooks and ibooks still so expensive, when i went on ebay i was expecting to see ibooks for about 450 and powerbooks for like 700. I kept seeing used 15" powerbooks for like 1200 or more. Why wouldnt people just spend the extra 250 and get a refurb macbook pro.

simply because they either need the fw800 of the old PB's (but cant afford the new MBP) or they simply prefer PPC.

mmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
How much do you think the stock macbook that is $1,100 now will go down to when they release the new ones.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I'm at the Apple Store right now and the sales guy here said the Core Duo MacBook Pros will drop $400 from their original price (i.e. a $1999 MBP will be $1699)

mmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I'm at the Apple Store right now and the sales guy here said the Core Duo MacBook Pros will drop $400 from their original price (i.e. a $1999 MBP will be $1699)

So when the macbooks get updated the old ones will probably drop like $200?
I wouldnt mind paying $900 for a brand new macbook:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.