Price for unlocked brand-new iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macbook123, Jan 31, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I'll be getting a new iPhone 4 as a warranty replacement. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 4s and selling the (unused) 4. I should be able to sell it unlocked. What would be a fair price I can demand on Craig's list?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

An Unlocked 4 from Apple retails at $549 for the 8GB model. If you're getting a factory unlocked iPhone 4 replacement, then it should hold that resale value fairly well. Any other method will probably degrade its worth considerably.

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I just sold a used but mint condition iPhone 4 (black, 32GB) that was jailbroken on iOS 5.0.1 and unlocked with a preserved 1.59.00 baseband for $400 cash via Craigslist yesterday. It also had the Applecare extended warranty through June 2012 and all accessories were new and unused in the original box.

If the iPhone 4 you get as a replacement is unlockable and there's some warranty coverage left, I think you could easily get at least that and probably more if you're not in a rush (unless it's a 16GB model, which may get you a bit less.)

4. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

5. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Worth getting the 4s? Moving to Verizon possible?

OK, now that I got the brand new iPhone (not in a new box, but I should still have the original one) I'm trying to understand what my options are.

Actually, I haven't strictly had it for two years yet but have been told by ATT that I'm upgrade-eligible. Does that actually mean that I will be able to sell this new 4 as UNLOCKED phone? Or will that have to wait until two years are up (will be this June I think)?

More generally speaking, does being upgrade eligible entail being free to leave ATT? We have kind of bad coverage where I live and I was thinking of moving to Verizon.

So, can I sell this replacement iPhone I got without paying early termination fee?

6. iPhone Warrior macrumors member

You might be 'upgrade-eligible' but you will need to confirm with AT&T when your contract is up and/or what your ETF might be.
    You can wait till the cows, or Apples, come home but an AT&T subsidized iPhone will NEVER be unlocked. You can only sell it at an AT&T locked phone.

7. takeshi74, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

No. Upgrade-eligible and unlocked are two entirely different things. Read up on both. One has nothing to do with the other.

Again, no. They're two entirely separate things. Upgrade eligibility and the end of your contract generally coincide but you can be eligible before your contract expires. If you want to verify your contract end date then verify it with your carrier.

Your device and your ETF are also two separate things. You could have sold your former device without ETF as well. ETF is on your line of service, not on your device unless you signed up under unusual terms that state otherwise.

Don't just assume (like you have with other topics above) that Verizon's coverage is better. Even after checking around make sure you test real world coverage before your window to cancel with Verizon closes.

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Was your phone unlocked before it was replaced?