price is this legitimate? sign the new ones are coming?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by carolhayes, Feb 17, 2009.

1. carolhayes macrumors member

2.8GHz Quad-Core Xeon Processor, 2GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, DVD±RW (+R DL), 10/100/1000 Ethernet, Mac OS X, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
    Main Features
    Qty
    $2,248.00 after $50.00 Mail in
    Rebate
    $2,298.00

Its an ad here on mac rumors? -

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This has absolutely nothing to do with the Gainestown Mac Pro, having no measure on the timeframe thereof.

3. PuckDaddy macrumors regular

PuckDaddy

where does it link to ?
    I've also seen Psystar ads on several Apple sites

but I saw earlier one with TWO 3ghz Quads for $2400
    it's not really refurbished though

4. carolhayes thread starter macrumors member

5. carolhayes thread starter macrumors member

Can a second superdrive and a graphics card and wifi be added easily yourself? I dont see a way that they will add these things? Any thoughts?

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

If it's what you want, and either can't wait, have no need for the next MP, or can't part with the $3k needed to get it, go for it. :) Cheaper than the next one for sure. ;)

Yes, you can add graphics cards, WiFi, and the second optical drive. Fairly easily. The WiFi card would take the longest to install, but can be done by the owner.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's a Mac Pro... :confused:

You don't need a second graphics card unless you are using a MINIMUM of three monitors.

8. carolhayes thread starter macrumors member

I need something before April and I have been looking for months. I do batch editing of lots of high res files. I am working off a laptop now, I don't know if I need the new processor? I do want an second superdrive and graphics card- I don't know if I can ad these myself.

9. carolhayes thread starter macrumors member

The guy at apple said I needed the nvidia? And I want a sedond super drive- not sure if its easy enough to ad one myself.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Again, do you have three or more monitors?

11. kabunaru Guest

What about CrossFiring two ATI cards in Windows for Crysis? ;)

12. carolhayes thread starter macrumors member

no but down the road- maybe I have never added ram so adding a superdrive I am concerned about-

13. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

What makes you think it's a double? It looks to me like the minimum configuration MacPro ("2.8GHz Quad-Core Xeon Processor"). The price before rebate is virtually identical to Apple's price on a 4-core MacPro ($2,298.00 vs. $2,299.00).

I doubt that a $50 mail-in rebate is any sign that new models are on their way.

14. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

He didn't ask for our opinion on whether or not he should install a new graphics card, he just asked if it was easy to do.

To the OP - it's supposed to be a user-upgradeable thing, so it should be pretty easy. There's probably a support article on Apple's website that tells you how.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I didn't know that we were in the business of telling people to do useless upgrades now.

Thought that was Best Buy's job...:D

16. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

You told him/her it might not be necessary once and he/she obviously didn't care about what you said. Why did you feel the need to day it again?

17. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well the only difference between ordering it there and directly from the regular Apple store is the $50 rebate and $1 in price. The Apple price for this is $2299. From the Education store, the same thing is $2149. So it is cheaper than the CDW rebated price when purchased through the education store.

You have to make sure that you are changing the processor configuration on the Apple site to reflect the fact that it is a single processor on the one posted- not the default dual processors which are $2799 on the regular store and $2599 on the education store.

BTW- the link to a dual processor Mac Pro on CDW is this page instead which says "two processors" and is $2798 with $50 rebate-- still cheaper through the education store!;)

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

Let the OP figure it out for themselves. ;) :D