Price Advice Price of used Power Mac G5 enclosures

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Grimsrud, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Grimsrud macrumors member

I've been looking for a used Power Mac G5 enclosure in very good condition lately (no significant scratches or scuffs), but it's been difficult. How much should one of these cost? Also, are there any places better than craigslist or eBay to check out?

2. htg macrumors regular

eBay is always the best place for that kind of stuff. I presume you're going to try to mod it in some way, in which case why don't you just buy a 'for spares or repair' unit and then just remove all the components, leaving you with a nice, empty case.

UPDATE: Forgot about the price part of your question. I reckon you could probably get your hands one one for no more than $150.

3. Captain Cat macrumors newbie

You should be able to get a working G5 for $150 (probably a 1.6). A case should run you about $75 unless you want a Mac Pro case ($). Only thing I would advise is compare craigslist to ebay + shipping prices as these machines are massive and expensive to ship.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I'd say that's a pretty dead on estimation.

I have 2x dead G5's sitting here, but frankly my time packaging them, then subsequently paying for shipping probably would exceed their value by a fair amount hence why they're sitting here. It's like crating an engine block :)