Price Reduction Refund...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pndmnd, Sep 10, 2013.

  1. pndmnd macrumors newbie

    May 16, 2012
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but people here were very helpful when I was trying to decide when to purchase my Macbook.

    I am in need of a new phone (and provider) ASAP. I'm leaving on vacation this weekend and really need to take care of it before then, so obviously I can't wait until the new iPhones are in the stores. I was actually looking at the 4S anyway, as the 5's just seem too big for me and I don't really need the upgrades. I still feel that way with the 5S, plus I think it just has a little more than I can handle at this point (I'd rather wait and see how people do with the finger sensor than be in the first group to have it). I'm not really interested in the 5C because it seems ridiculous to pay $99 for a plastic phone and being able to pick colors isn't enticing enough.

    Anyway, back to my question. I know that the 4S will become the "free" phone with a contract. I also know that Apple has a policy of providing refunds if a purchase is made close to the date of a price drop (I was thinking it was 14 days - I found this out by chance and ended up with a refund for my Macbook last year). If I purchase a 4S this week through Verizon will they still honor the refund after the 20th, or would it have to be purchased at the Apple store? Or does this not apply to phones anyway?

    Thanks for any help you can provide!
  2. Hawkeye16, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

    Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

    Sep 16, 2009
    A lot of credit cards also come with this type of protection (3 of mine do) and they price match through an account credit for around 60-90 days after purchase usually. You could look into this as well.

    I am not sure what apple/carriers do as I am usually the one buying on day 1.
  3. pndmnd thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 16, 2012
    Good point - I'll look into that.

    I'm obviously going to buy the phone regardless because I'm not in a position to wait, but it is a little frustrating to spend money on something that would be free one week later.
  4. pndmnd thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 16, 2012
    So, it looks like the carrier that I'm switching to is already lowering the price on the 4S, so yay! So now I can get the 4S for free, but I'm wondering if I should reconsider the 5. :confused:
  5. dave420 macrumors 65816

    Jun 15, 2010
    It's not actually a price reduction since they are changing the model. It is going from 16 GB to 8 GB.
  6. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Jun 14, 2010
    Exactly. Be very careful on whether 8GB will be enough for your usage; if it isn't then it's a pretty expensive phone.

    If you absolutely need a phone right this very second, pick up something on Craigslist or similar to hold you over until the dust settles.
  7. pndmnd thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 16, 2012
    It's not so much that I need a new phone (I mean, I do, but I could probably last a few more months if I just charged it constantly). It's more that I really do need to switch carriers ASAP, as my carrier no longer has their own towers where I currently live and they were never local where I am about to move to.

    It is the 16GB 4S and the 16GB 5 that the carrier that I am switching to has lowered the prices on, effective now. I know that they will have more changes on the 20th, but I'm really more concerned with the current pricing/availability.

    So, given that they are both 16GB, should I reconsider the 5? One of my concerns is will having 4G drain my battery faster (and use up way more data) than 3G?

Share This Page