Price to expect for like new/very good condition iPhone 4S after next iPhone launch ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rak007, Aug 27, 2012.

1. rak007 macrumors 6502a

I want to buy an iPhone 4S after the next iPhone is launched and I want to buy a like new / mint / very good condition 16GB model, preferably factory unlocked. What prices I can expect to pay for the same after the next iPhone is launched ?
    Current prices seem to be between 450$ and 500$ and even more sometimes.

2. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

3. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Here's one data point for you if it helps:

I've had my 2-week old iPhone 4s on sale for craigslist for about 3 weeks.

Over that time, I've seen:
    - Tons of offers for $300
    - Plenty of offers for $350

I asked for $400, and finally got it. Amazon is offering $410 for the trade-in right now.

I might have been able to get a tiny bit more... maybe $425 since it wasn't brand new, but decided it was close enough.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that 4s's will hover around the $300-$350 range soon.

4. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

was yours factory unlocked? all of mine are factory unlocked I would love to get a secure price now for getting the new ones later....question is does amazing cut a check or give a stupid amazon giftcard?

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

CNET has a good article about the affects of certain events on iPhone prices. They use Gazelle as a reference, which is the lower end (like going to a pawn shop), but the trend is still solid. Expect to lose $100 by waiting.

6. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

so your saying an iphone 4s 16 gig goes for about 350 right now and after the launch it will be 250?

me personally i think you can get over 300 for it after launch.

7. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I switched to AT&T back in March and sold my iPhone 4 from Verizon on Craigslist for $420 and I even got asked by the guy who eventually bought it why I was selling it so cheap. It was listed for only 2 days. When the new iPhone comes out, I am planning on putting about the same price tag on my iPhone 4S. Forgot to mention, the one I sold was a 16gb in Black.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Depends on who you want to sell it to. Right now, gazelle.com is offering $279 for it. That's low, I know, but they also have a thirty day guarantee, and they take care of all the logistics. That being said, last year when the iPhone 4S came out, the iPhone 4 dropped from about $270 to $150 in about 20 days. When you add to the fact that the iPhone 5 is going to be a serious improvement to the 4S, you have to believe the same phenomenon is going to happen.

Again, I understand you can sit on ebay and deal with the ebay crap, but at the end of the day, you are bound to lose some serious money after launch.

9. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

damn 270-150 is horrible.

Note to self. Never sell phone the easy way

----------

what can we expect for a factory unlocked perfect condition iphone 4 32 gig?

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Like i said, it's like going to a Pawn Shop. You give them the phone, they pay you and cover everything else. The price is low, BUT the trend is still indicative of the drop in value of the device because gazelle does sell on ebay.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Easily over $400 on ebay if you jailbreak and unlock it, even after about a month after the new iPhone debuts.

12. LoloBond macrumors 6502

Why anyone will pay 450-500? You can get it brand new for 500... I wouldn't pay more than 275 for a 16 gigs.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I sold a 4S 16gb on craigslist for $400 a month ago (had applecare+)....after the 5 launch I would expect exactly what others said, $75-100 less.