• over $4000

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
I would budget around $6000.00

Of course, if I was buying a tower in the first place, it'd be for particularly intensive applications so not going "all out" would be a waste of money. Not to mention that if I was to buy a tower I'd be thinking in terms of TCO, that is: how much does it cost me compared to how much it'll earn me.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
$6000? What specs are you planning to go along with that? With Apple's prices as of late, the highest G4/G5 wouldn't probably be more than $3500. Then again, if you're planning on a cinema display, there's your $6K total right there.

I won't be investing into a new computer until the G5's are out, and then I'll be getting the "intermediate" model for probably $2499 or whatever. Hopefully they'll come out with a 19" LCD for $999, and there you have it. $3500 for a new system, less the $1500 for my old system, and I've got a kickass new system for $2000. :) Sounds good to me! Oh yeah, and I'll be maxing out the RAM myself, not through Apple. Saves me a grand right there.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Budget

No matter how you spend it, a high end machine will wind up about 6-10k with toys. This is why I said "Budget" and not "purchase". What the machine itself actually costs me is a whole different matter considering I have close friends that work for (non-R&D:( ) Apple.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
22" cinema displays are like that pretty girl back in highschool that you always wanted but could never get.....you could only stare and drool.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
that cinema display is only something i have seen in stores and i am yet to see a client with one

one day, three grand will get you that display and a pro computer but we will have to wait for that

until then, it is five grand and up for a killer setup

a low end pro mac tower should cost 1299 without monitor instead of sixteen or seventeen hundred dollars and that will eventually happen, too

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
22" Cinema dream

it's almost surreal when u are in a store with that 22" Cinema right there in front of u....

then u look at the price and feel the pinch....

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
my new comp coming

Hmm...i'm not going to think about the cinema display...too rich for my blood. But i am getting the Dual 1Ghz for 2800 and a Lacie's 19' blue monitor.

oh yeah...i've also seen dual Ghz machines selling on ebay with a 17in apple lcd for around 3100 and dual Ghz with cinema selling for around 4200...makes ya wonder how the person can afford to sell it for so cheap...

-XL

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: Budget

Originally posted by mischief
What the machine itself actually costs me is a whole different matter considering I have close friends that work for (non-R&D:( ) Apple.
hahaha. yes the apple discount is nice, but i must mention that if your friend was in r&d i think you would still have that sad face. i dont know what apple does to these people but you can hold coals to their feet and they wont talk. also whenever my friend gets a new computer im not allowed to see it for 6-12 months since its always a prototype of next years model. imagine the sad face youd have if you new that kind of knowledge was just out of reach.

on the what would i pay for a g4/g5. i wouldnt pay a cent for a g4. no nothing wrong with them i just think i can survive on my g3 until the g5 rears its ugly head. and once macosx and most software is being optimized for the g5 i'll dive in with 3-6k and hold on to that beauty for another four or 5 years.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
DUED! I would go OFF if I could get one for under $2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, that's right, you guys are probably talking in USD. AH DAMMIT. Oh well...