Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
While the latest is predictable, any thoughts on the last years model.

iPad mini 1st Gen. Very likely drop to $229.
It will be interesting to see how well it will sell compared to the latest hardware selection of Nexus, GalaxyTabs and Fires that start at $199 vs the nearly 2 year old guts (based on iPad 2) in the Mini.

iPad 2 still hang around at $399?
While it did have mid life CPU upgrade, its really old, but the rub is it's dirt cheap to make (~$160?), has tons of accessories, and budget strapped schools love it!
Apple could drop it to $299, fly off of Wal-Mart shelves! Still more then Mini 2, so I don't see conflict there, and iPod Touch is a different beast.

Or

Will iPad 4 replace the iPad 2 as the low end full size iPad offering?

Or will both old models be on market?
(perhaps the iPad 2 only for education market?)

Considering that Apple replaced the iP5 with iP5c, Apple does change things around.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
This is hard to predict but here's mine:

- iPad mini (1st generation) - $299 - I just don't see them dropping it all the way to $229 when supposedly the margin is already less than what Apple usually makes. MAYBE $279.

- iPad mini with Retina Display - $399 - A6 chip, new specs, etc. Like the 5c and 5s, this will give power users something to spend more on, while a lot of people just don't care about the latest and greatest or (shockingly) can't tell the difference of a retina display, so they'll go low-end to the first generation.

- iPad with Retina Display (5th generation) - $499

I think the iPad 2 and 4 will be dropped and this will give 3 models at a $100 difference... Just like the iPhone.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Before last week, I would have predicted they would drop the iPad 2, as part of the move to make everything lightning connected...

But the surprise of keeping the iPhone 4S available makes me think they'll keep the iPad 2 as well.. as a budget iPad option.

Presumably it'll come down to sales.. if they're still selling a ton of them, they'll keep it.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Could we see something like:

iPad 2 16 gb $399 (maybe $299-$329?)
iPad 5 32 gb $499
iPad 5 64 gb $599
iPad 5 128 gb $699

The iPad 2 would still hold it's place as an affordable entry level iPad but seperating itself from the main line a little more. (Not so many bells and whistles but very affordable) I just don't know how long they keep the iPad 2 around before it's age really begins to show.

But really...does the iPad 2 even need to be an option when the iPad mini is available?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.