Priests arrested

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Mar 6, 2012.

1. niuniu, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Two Priests from the Eastbourne area (England, UK for non-Brits) arrested over claims of sexual abuse. The two arrests are unconnected and relate to separate multiple cases of sexual abuse.

[​IMG]
    Above, people who tell you how to live your life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-17270136

One of these guys, Robert Coles was brought in before but they didn't have enough evidence to prosecute.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And this is surprising? Religion needs to really start cleaning it's house and stop preaching until it does.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What do priests and McDonalds have in common?

They both like to stick their meat in 10 year old buns...

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Catholic Church clearly has still not dealt with this issue. It'll be fun to see how Rick Santorum spins this.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Clearly, Eastbourne is a seat of academic, political and cultural liberalism in England, lies at the center of the storm.

7. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

These two are both Church of England incidentally..

The Catholic Church have been good. They've managed to go without any convictions for kiddy fiddling for a whole 3 weeks,

[​IMG]
    Catholic Priest Alexander Bede Walsh - 21 counts of serial & sexual child abuse. 7th February 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16928122

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

They are Protestants,which indicates it's not only the Catholic church but it has and maybe still is rife across the Christian sects.(this is not to let other religions off the hook it's probably not limited to Christians).

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think its safe to say that there are child molesters across all walks of life. These two have been accused of crimes that allegedly took place in the 60's, 70's and 80's. The article didn't mention what evidence led to the arrests aside from the accusations themselves.

10. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

That's what's so sick about paedophiles. They're preying on children you haven't developed the same concepts of right and wrong, or the ability to defend themselves against manipulation or physical force.

They go through years of emotional trauma and shame until they reach a stage in their lives where they can bring themselves to let someone know what happened.

There will be children getting preyed on now somewhere out there. We won't hear about that until 20 or 30 years from now. Disgusting.

11. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

While what you're saying is true. The Catholic church as an organisation is far more corrupt than schools etc, where other incidents of sexual abuse occurs. It is the systematic acceptance, of it within the church that is just as bad as the crimes themselves.

12. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Yeah, there is some sort of arrogance, a sort of sickness that goes on within. It's infuriating..

Egan below, was Bishop for Bridgeport (who had to pay out 30mill to settle sexual abuse cases). Egan was transferring Priests when there was a complaint, or some cases doing nothing. He never reported complaints to the authorities. Here's some of his clearly sympathetic and repentant self in action from an interview last month..

[​IMG]
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/07/cardinal-egan-child-abuse_n_1260367.html

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, sadly they are. Name another organization that has systemically covered up child abuse like the Catholic Church.

14. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

This is the problem. An organization which preaches a way of life not even their preachers follow.

I know they are the minority (priests which abuse children), and I might dare say I doubt the pope has ever made such an act. But I could also say that he DID knew about the abuses occurring, and didn't made anything to stop them.

Molesters exist everywhere, and the actual offense is the same wether the molester is a priest or not. But the Catholic church is definitely going to be judged more severely. These men shouldn't be allowed to walk freely, and the people who covered their actions should also be judged by the law. It pains me to say it, but even the pope should be judged if there are proves of him covering up.

I consider myself a Catholic. Tho, lately, all this scandals and situations have made me really sick of being part of such an organization. Not that my believes have changed, but definitely my perception of the church has changed.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Anyone who has knowledge of child abuse and attempts to cover it to protect the church should be lowered ass first on a very long rusty and jagged spike. Who knows how many cases the church has already covered up with hoardes of cash. Disgusting.

----------

The "priests go after children because they can't have women" is complete ********. They are going to rape a child, but picking up a random prostitute (or a consenting woman) is unholy. Really? Who thinks like that?

16. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

These two have even less excuse for bothering children with their sexual urges. The Anglican church is not a celibate order - they are free to take wives.

17. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Not me, certainly.

Do you say it in response to my post because you think I do?

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No the first line of your post reminded me of the argument so I just quoted, it wasn't a direct response to your post, sorry.

19. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

No worries.:)

And yes, I agree that phrase is BS. Doing that with a child is simply perverted, no excuses exist for that.