Primary Opponent Airs Ads Alleging Mark Kirk (R-Ill) is Gay

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Dec 29, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I just got this weird piece of news via Twitter from WBEZ (Chicago's NPR station).

http://blogs.vocalo.org/feder/2009/12/wgn-to-hosts-hold-your-nose-over-political-stinker/10823

Now why the issue is worth bringing to the light of the public, to the competitor in the primary, is unclear. I mean, this isn't Uganda. He can't go to prison because he sees someone do something homo and doesn't tell the world about it. :rolleyes:

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This was the dumbest thing I heard yesterday. It's just crazy. And really- why should anyone care if Kirk is gay? I don't think anyone here does, quite honestly.

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

How to label your opponent as gay (without calling him gay)

During the 1980s, in the West Virginia race for governor, the Republican candidate posted billboards around the state that contained only five giant words -- "Gaston Caperton is a neophyte". Caperton, the Democratic candidate was a "beginner" to political office so it was a true statement. However, many of the state's voters mistakenly believed "neophyte" was some sort of fancy term for "homosexual". The plan worked well -- you'd hear people talking in hushed tones saying "Have you heard he's gay?" -- but in the end, the Republican lost the election.

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Serves 'em right. West Virginians don't appreciate no high-falutin words like "neophyte." :p

It sounds like an attempt to draw right-wing support, but I think that like Bachmann it's not going to fly, particularly in Illinois.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Martin and his staff must think that republicans will care or they wouldn't be running the commercial

6. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Shades of the push poll GWB's campaign ran in the SC primary in 2000 to bring down John McCain.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

...not that there's anything wrong with that. (the homosexuality; the ad is a low blow)

8. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Agreed.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Martin is also a nutjob.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

hmmmmm....a nutjob? so he's likely to to win then? :D

11. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I disagree with Kirk's politics, but this is wrong. Martin has no chance of winning whatsoever. He's not even a major contender.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ok, where are the moderate republicans? Seriously, if the guy was a conservative on fiscal matters and limited government, why should it matter what he does in his own bedroom?

Oh wait, I know. It's because the Republican party has now become the party of the born-again Christians. Reagan is rolling around in his tomb.

Speaking of religion, I noticed that my church was all about preaching politics from the pulpit when talking about abortion, but I've heard nothing about providing health care for the masses.

Strikes me as a bit odd. Why wouldn't my church be supporting providing health care to the needy? Things that make you go, Hmmmmmmm

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Even the Republican party has shouted him down. He has no chance of winning.