Princeton University Suspended an Employee for Using Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Sep 3, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Medical marijuana is legal here in NJ. The university is overstepping their boundaries. His medical treatment plan is between him and his doctor. He's suffering from PTSD and now they're threatening him with his job if he doesn't stop using his LEGALLY OBTAINED marijuana. Shame on Princeton.

Link

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

He's not doing anything illegal.

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Good luck with that Princeton, way to treat a Veteran with 18 yrs.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Utter balderdash. Under the ADA, employers are required to make reasonable accommodation to allow disabled employees do their jobs, which would require the employer accommodate an employee's (legal) drug use. The sticking point is the current conflict between federal and state laws -- federal law needs updating.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I believe in 10 years federal law will be changed and pot will be legal, at least from the federal government's purview. However, this case is Princeton enforcing their drug-free workplace policy.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Under ADA, any employer would have a very difficult time legally enforcing a drug-free policy against an employee with a disability that's taking a legally prescribed drug related to that disability. It's covered under "reasonable accommodations" -- employers typically must accommodate that employee's use of drugs and the side effects that the drugs have on the employee, provide the employer can find a reasonable way to do so.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's not legal according to federal law, and I would assume as the ADA was passed by Congress and not the State Legislature in any conflict with the laws federal law will win.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

From the article:

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Yeah, I know that, and acknowledged that fact earlier.

Go back and read my first post in this thread. The one where I said "The sticking point is the current conflict between federal and state laws -- federal law needs updating."

So my last point stands: Use of legal drugs is protected by ADA laws, if the employee meets that ADA definition of having a "handicap" and providing "reasonable accommodations" can be met by the employer, etc.

However, since federal law doesn't recognized marijuana as a drug, the courts usually rule that the ADA doesn't apply. Thus, my original comment regarding "... federal law needs updating."

12. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's just disgusting to me. This guy has PTSD because of a failed war his government started, comes home and tries to move on with his life the best he can. Which is much better than a lot of other veterans doing, many of them homeless and drug addicted. After all that, he has to deal with this BS? Let the man have his medicine and leave him alone. This is a true injustice and needs to stop.

13. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Marijuana is not a recognized treatment for PTSD. I'm not sure where the author got that from?

THC can ease some of the symptoms of PTSD, but the effects are short lived and the brain becomes less responsive to the calming effects with continued use; making it a poor treatment in practice.

There is some research going into the use of THC-like molecules for PTSD treatment, they are trying to find a molecule that can hit the receptors, but not allow for tolerance like THC does. But those studies are still in their infancy (like funded within the last year or so).

As of now, there are no real published studies out there supporting Marijuana as a valid treatment for PTSD. There are a lot of anecdotal reports of people who say it helps their symptoms; but there are lots of anecdotal reports of people who say pot helps with just about anything. That's how they get their Medical-Marijuana cards.

Perhaps the bright minds at Princeton realized that this was a non-evidence based use of Marijuana and decided to enforce their drug-free workplace policy. Just a guess on my part.

14. localoid, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Studies regarding the medical benefits of cannabis are extremely rare, because the Drug Enforcement Agency classifies marijuana as a Schedule I drug.

Getting government approval for a study that might prove the positive effects of marijuana is extremely difficult, as a 2010 New York Times article pointed out: Researchers Find Study of Medical Marijuana Discouraged

Brief quote, for the article follows:

A July 14, 2014 article from CNN says a well-known medical marijuana researcher at the University of Arizona says a study she's been planning for four years has cost her her job. She has been planning a pioneering study on marijuana's effect on veterans with chronic post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD. Article link: Medical marijuana research stalls after Arizona professor is let go

Brief quote follow:

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

At the present time, marijuana, including medical marijuana is against federal law. The Controlled Substances Act (CSA) (21 U.S.C. § 811) does not recognize a difference between medical marijuana and recreational use.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If it's legal where he works and resides, and he is not impaired nor using on the job, this will go to court.

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If it is not impairing and if he is not using it on the job. The same can be said about some medications which are handed down by doctors. If the drug interferes with the way you work and perform, this could be a reason to send him/her home.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I was under those rules for flying (legal drugs), I agree. It would be no different than drinking on the job. His medical condition could interfere with the terms of his employment.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Marijuana, medical or not is not legal anywhere in the United States. It is against federal law even though some states allow it.

20. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Irrelevant.

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Gotcha.....

22. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Doctors prescribe drugs for "off-label" use all the time. Why is this different?

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As someone who claims not to be conservative, but oddly consistently sides with conservatives that is a State Versus Federal law debate. So this time instead of States rights you're choosing the Feds? ;)

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Question.. is PTSD a recognized disability? I'm asking genuinely because I do not know, and don't know if the ADA would apply in this instance. If not, there may be a lot of fraudulent claims of disability going around because of it.

BL.

25. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They only support state's rights when they fit their agenda.