Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
A little more detail may be helpful here.

I for one have no problem printing and I'm sure I'm not the only one...

What's your hardware, what are you printing and with what apps? Have you set up your printer?

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I own a Lexmark Z42 inkjet printer connected through USB. No matter what program I use, the printer just doesn't print.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
1st, toss the Lexmark out the nearest window.
2nd, I just checked the Lexmark drivers included with os X. They have from Z 23-35 and from Z 43 up. I don't have a clue whether or not your printer should be able to use any of those drivers generically, but my guess would be no. See if Lexmark has an appropriate driver for downloading.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
There ARE drivers for it included with OS X, and then I downloaded some for 10.2, NEITHER work.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
i have a lexmark z600, connected to a windows machine which is in my homenetwork. And me too, cant print,from my ibook.. it actually ques up all jobs on the windows machine..but thats it...no further action.
i guess i have to stop buying what they distribute at thanksgiving :D

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I'm not sure if the print center thing has this option anymore, but it used to be that somewhere in the drop down menus there was an option that said stop/start que. I remember sometimes the que would stop itself for no reason and it took a while for me to find that option. Who knows why it stopped in the first place.

Matt

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Have you tried connecting the printer directly to the USB port on the back of the Mac?

Have you tried another USB cable?

Does Lexmark Z42 show up in the dock after you try to print?

raiderz182

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
north philly
i have a lexmark x1150 all-in-one
just got it today and tested out all the scanning/printing options, works with openoffice, text edit, and anything from safari so far

sucks for you guys who have problems

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
I have a Z45 and have learned how to fix this problem.

Uninstall all Z42 stuff.

Now go to lexmark's website and download + install the Jaguar drivers.

Restart.

This worked for me and will hopefully work for you.

Everytime I repair permissions I must do this all over again (restarts aren't always necessary).

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I would just get a new printer! Lexmark printers are the biggest pieces of **** I've ever seen, plus the ink is waaayyyy too expensive. Your better off getting an EPSON, or HP printer. Printers are extremely cheap. I bought a Brother Laser Printer for $149 on Amazon.com and it works really well.

Now I know that your going to say I shouldn't have to buy a new printer just so I can use Panther, but I think you'll be better off in a long run.

Just my 2 cents!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by mklos
I would just get a new printer! Lexmark printers are the biggest pieces of **** I've ever seen, plus the ink is waaayyyy too expensive. Your better off getting an EPSON, or HP printer. Printers are extremely cheap. I bought a Brother Laser Printer for $149 on Amazon.com and it works really well.

Now I know that your going to say I shouldn't have to buy a new printer just so I can use Panther, but I think you'll be better off in a long run.

Just my 2 cents!

I hope he doesn't feel insulted, since you just implied that he made a bad choice. :rolleyes: Maybe, if it was so simple, he might just buy a new printer or you would buy him a new printer.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I don't mean to insult anyone, I just tell it like it is, or the way I see it.

I just really hate Lexmark printers. It seems that people have nothing but problems with them. I know there are some out there who aren't having any problems, consider yourselves lucky!

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Originally posted by neoelectronaut
There ARE drivers for it included with OS X, and then I downloaded some for 10.2, NEITHER work.

Well then, go with my first point. Toss the thing out the window. Like someone else said Lexmark really is quite pathetic. Ok, it sucks. Get something that works.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by Fukui
linuxprinting.org ~ Link

You'll have to compile it yourself, if you don't know how to do that then...
Nevermind, just download GimpPrint Here and follow the instuctions how to access the CUPS printer drivers which include (it says on the page) Z42.

Good luck!

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Tried the trick above. No dice.

Installed new drivers. No dice.

...still only prints like 1/10th of the page then halts.

WTF? The printer worked perfectly with my PC.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Tried the trick above. No dice.

Installed new drivers. No dice.

...still only prints like 1/10th of the page then halts.

WTF? The printer worked perfectly with my PC.
Did you make sure to add the printer with the "option" key held down so you can access the "advanced" option and select the gimp-print drivers?

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Yeup. Followed all instructions in the included PDF to a "T".
Try removing the lexmark drivers (from lexmark not the gimp print), restart, and add the printer again.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I had a Lexmark printer and nothing but problems in both Jaguar and Panther. Finally decvided to toss the peice of crap. There's a reason they give these away free with a computer purchase.

I now have an Epson C82 and HP LaserJet 1012, both which work excellent under Panther. Just got the LaserJet from CompUSAauctions for $62. Woo hoo.

Dub

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2004
Cardiff, UK
I am a recent switcher and my Lexmark Z45 will not print at all if I plug it into a USB hub. It has to be plugged directly into the Mac. This must be a problem with X or the drvers or something cos I can use this same printer on a hub with a PC no problems.

I also find that X is unbelievably slow at printing anything, especially PDFs. We are talking 5 mins to start printing 1 page. Terrible. I'm not happy cos I had to give away my laser printer when I switched as it had a parallel connector and no usb. No luck on a usb to parallel convertor either. Having made that big a sacrifice to switch I was kinda hoping a newish inkjet would work without any problems.

I'm beginning to wonder if Macs are better than PCs or if they don't just have a different set of problems...

Problems with switching/Mac so far:
itunes randomly changes itunes folder location back to default from my external drive
Had to give away a perfectly good laser printer
Perfectly good inkjet doesn't work on hub
Very very very slow printing
ipod battery is what I would call "random" ie charge it fully on the adaptor then plug it into the dock to transfer files - battery reports only half full and starts charging. Battery reports full again, unplug from dock, battery reports half full etc etc
Unable to use my online banking because of poor Mac support

Dub. :(

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Dub said:
I am a recent switcher and my Lexmark Z45 will not print at all if I plug it into a USB hub. It has to be plugged directly into the Mac. This must be a problem with X or the drvers or something cos I can use this same printer on a hub with a PC no problems.

I also find that X is unbelievably slow at printing anything, especially PDFs. We are talking 5 mins to start printing 1 page. Terrible. I'm not happy cos I had to give away my laser printer when I switched as it had a parallel connector and no usb. No luck on a usb to parallel convertor either. Having made that big a sacrifice to switch I was kinda hoping a newish inkjet would work without any problems.

I'm beginning to wonder if Macs are better than PCs or if they don't just have a different set of problems...

itunes randomly changes itunes folder location back to default from my external drive
ipod battery is what I would call "random" ie charge it fully on the adaptor then plug it into the dock to transfer files - battery reports only half full and starts charging. Battery reports full again, unplug from dock, battery reports half full etc etc

Yea, try to download and install the Gimp Print driver from the link I put above. Make sure to folow the directions they have there perfectly. If Z45 is not on the list, try using the Z43 driver, it might work...

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
Dub said:

I have the Z45 and printing is faster...
Especially when I go to the Quality option and choose "Fastest" - it takes literally about five seconds for a full page of text double spaced.

Make sure you're using the latest version of the iPod software. If you are, try reinstalling the latest version using the "Restore" (Clean install) option. Then just put your songs back on. If this doesn't fix it and it's under warranty, CALL APPLE - IT'S BROKEN. Except for the Lexmark's poor Panther drivers (not really Apple's fault), I've not really had any problems with OS X EVER...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.