Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hi all

For some reason my HP Photosmart 5515 printer seems to be showing up under shared as follows:

hpec9a746b2da4

and it is coming up as a PC, is this normal? If so, how can I change the type to printer and also alter the name?

Thanks

James

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
If anyone could help me with this that would be great :) my mac is still showing the same thing

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
It is showing up as a pc because of the memory card ports on the printer. Throw an sd card into the slot on the printer and then access that share on osx. My macbook doesn't have an sd port so that's how I import photos when I don't want to plug my camera in through USB. As far as the name is concerned this can be changed in the admin panel. Just login to the up address of the printer from any browser and rename away.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
thanks for the advice, however, I have tried renaming the printer but nothing works, the name of the printer on the network settings doesn't match the on above either...

Any further help would be appreciated.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
thanks for the advice, however, I have tried renaming the printer but nothing works, the name of the printer on the network settings doesn't match the on above either...

Any further help would be appreciated.

This is the NETBIOS name that is announced by the printer when it does not have a reverse DNS entry. It's probably the MAC address of the network adapter.

If your printer has 192.168.1.15 (example), there has to be a reverse DNS entry for that IP address. You could solve that by running your own DNS service on your LAN and assign a static IP address to your printer.

Entries in /etc/hosts will not suffice, because the printer annonces itself over NETBIOS.

EDIT: My brother printer has a Web Interface were I can assign a name...

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hi

I have checked my online service and it says I am currently using a static IP address but the finder is still coming up with the same, there is a Host Name, but that is different to what the finder is saying...

This is confusing lol

James

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
Okay, let me see if I can help you out with this visually...this is, of course, assuming you are using an HP printer with an embedded web server (any HP with AirPrint will have this installed). I was wrong about where the option is, by the way...it is in fact under network settings. The green highlighted area is the area you click to see/change the network name. Where mine says HP-Officejet, it used to say HP38394343 or whatever the number scheme was. Anyway, hope this helps...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-20 at 6.59.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-20 at 6.59.50 AM.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 163
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.