Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuffy109

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
every time i try to print from either illustrator or photoshop, i get an error window stating "serial port being used by another application, close and repring". there are no other applications open though. any suggestions?

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Do you have a Page layout program that runs in OS X? and if so can you saver the Illustrator file as an eps and place it on a page and print that way. Or save it out as a PDF file then in OS X drag-n-drop the pdf on to the "Print Center" icon on the doc (well put it there first). Or print it from Acrobat.

Check the Chooser in Classic to see what it says when you select the print driver you're trying to print to.

And Last but not least, I am aware of a few printing bugs in Ill. 9 try retro saving it to vs. 8.0 or 7.0 and if you still have an earlier version of Illustrator try printing from that.

Hope these help, I'll try and think of more.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
tuffy109 said:
every time i try to print from either illustrator or photoshop, i get an error window stating "serial port being used by another application, close and repring". there are no other applications open though. any suggestions?
Please fill out your profile - knowing what computer you have will help all of us narrow down the cause of your problem. That error message you're getting is strange - I wouldn't expect Mac OS X to be running on a computer with serial ports, unless the computer's an old G3.

hotdog

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2004
hi there,
the printer software, you need to install it twice.
once in the osx bit and again in the classic bit... can't remember correct names of places right now.. but thats what I had to do anyway.
hope this helps..

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I second the saving/printing to PS/PDF and printing from OSX. Acrobat Reader (free) should be good enough for printing them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.