Priority Parking for Hybrids?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spaceboots06, Jul 22, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If its a private company its their right to say who can park where so that's fine with me. It's up to that business as to weigh the risk of alienating customers vs. making a statement. I would be against it for any type of government office however.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So what about VW Jetta and Golf TDIs, they're at least as green, if not more, than hybrids; are they included in the special parking?

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

This seems lame to me. It's another gimmick. The plug-in spots almost make sense for true electrics and plugin hybrids (assuming they actually make it to market). For regular hybrids? Take your smug pretensions elsewhere. If they really want to be "green", put spots for gas guzzlers closer to the store. Otherwise, they are going to burn more fuel circling around looking for a place to park. A hybrid like the Prius will use zero fuel at typical parking lot speeds, since it is running on electric power.

As far as expensive cars: So, the Porsche owner should be able to park closer because he paid more for his car? How about the Bugatti Veryon? (Then again, I don't think you'll see a Veryon in an Ikea parking lot.)

It is a private business, and they can do pretty much what they want with their parking lot, but it still seems asinine to me.

5. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

What about small cars that cost a lot less than the Prius but are more efficient?

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If they really want to be green, why not segregate SUVs from smaller vehicles. I think SUVs should be as close to the street as possible. They're a huge hazard near the store where children are more likely to be present. Also, parking spaces near the store should only fit small cars and get progressively larger further from the store.

It's time to stop pretending that SUVs are the standard around which everything else must revolve.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Ill just slap a "hybrid" sticker on my z28 and park up front. Who are they to say I didn't covert my hatch and engine for hybrid goodness?

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats the dumbest policy ever

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

According to the Top Gear team (who might be a little biased) the manufacturing process for the battery for the Prius is more polluting in global terms than running a standard car for 10 years....!

Still, if I had to drive that overpriced piece of crap, I'd want some come-back too.

I'd be more interested in improvements to public transport and safety measures for cyclists.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it is a stupid policy, but they are welcome to do it.

12. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Because...? I think it encourages using a vehicle other than an SUV or Hummer or whatever. Granted, I love the two- and used to own a Land Rover, but what's wrong with letting these people getting better parking?

They're driving "better", so they should have better parking.

13. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont quite understnd how its logical to reward parking to those who have hybrids. some people need a truck plain and simple

a hybrid doesnt cut it for most people, me included

15. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

So a 19mpg 'hybrid' GMC Yukon XL (or whatever they're calling it these days), get's preferential parking over a 50 mpg 'normal' car? Yeah, that makes sense...:rolleyes:

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

crap like those spots makes me want to get a hybrid sticker and slap it on my car.

It stupid because hybrids have turn into the uppy car. Thinking they are such great things for the environment. Put in the fact that batteries are bad and some of the compact cars out there get BETTER gas millage than a hybrid....

I would rather see compacts spots be put close and then saying non compacts will be towed. That would do a lot better

17. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. When they start doing this to Home Depot parking I'll be moderately confused.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Yes lets kick out the handicapped parking and tell grandma to park in back because someone with a hybrid is gonna get the good spots.:rolleyes:

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The places in australia that have priority for hybrids don't do it at the expense of handicapped, elderly, or with infant spots.

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

There's expectant mother parking at this shopping mall I go to sometimes. Since the spots aren't legally enforceable, I've parked there before. Walking is good for expectant mothers, I'm doing them a favor. They just don't know it.

21. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You mean these...

Attached Files:

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I bet my old crap car gets better mileage than those and it was made 14 years ago.

23. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Okay, I'll reiterate.

I think it encourages using a vehicle other than an non-hybrid SUV.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my 90 celica gets like 27mpgs regularly

take that hybrids

25. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

You know, if I owned one of those, I would park it in a spot like this just to spite the people who put it up. It does say parking for hybrids, after all. A 19 MPG hybrid Tahoe actually represents a better value than something like a Prius. Going from 14 to 20 MPG is a much bigger improvement than going from 30 to 40.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/06/06/why_hybrid_suvs/index.html